1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Evox and DVD Play

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by nightmoon, Apr 26, 2005.

1. nightmoon

nightmoon Member

I have a first gen XBox with Evox 3935 installed. I checked it with my games and all works fine. However, reading DVD's has crashed.

It detects the DVD as video, but fails to play the DVD. It returns to the Evox dashboard after a few seconds. This happens with all DVD's regardless of the region.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I followed the install guide to the letter, no problems, not with FTPing, flashing the bios or anything, except playing DVD's.

The modchip is the XChip and solderless adapter available at easybuy2000.com

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. samusXP

samusXP Regular member

ExoX itself will not playback DVD movies. It relies on the stock DVD player from the m$ dashboard which requires the DVD Playback Kit for Xbox ($30). An easy way around this is to find an app for Xbox called Xbox Media Center. I'll send you a PM.

3. nightmoon

nightmoon Member

'Nother quick fix if region is not important is to set the evox.ini file (see below) to whatever location contains your DVD player. For me it was to set it to the old msxboxdash.xbe but it may be different for others. Installing new software like the Media Centre will make this message a little redundant.

AutoLaunchGames = No
    AutoLaunchDVD = No
    DVDPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
    AutoLaunchAudio = No
    AudioPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
    MSDashBoard = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
    UseFDrive = Yes
    UseGDrive = Yes

Notice line #3 is where my DVD player is located. Original (shipped) Line #3 was:

DVDPlayer = "F:\Apps\DVD2.0\default.xbe"

Which didn't exist when I went looking for it.