1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with HDD swap

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by narayan, Jul 23, 2003.

1. narayan

narayan Member

OK, I really need some help. Im trying to install a new hard drive in my xbox. I've burned a copy of evolution x on a CDRW, which always booted before....... however, when I installed the new hard drive and tried to boot evolution x it wont boot. I get an error code 16 screen that is like chopped in half. What am I doing wrong. Does the hard drive need to be prepared first or what? I really dont think its the hard drive cause that would be a different error code. Is it just not finding my EVO X dash on the cd? I've tried to put it on a CD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-R. So something is wrong somewhere. And i did turn it off and on with the cd already in it. I've looked at like, 10 tutorials. Can someone please help me?

2. kapnkruch

kapnkruch Guest

3. vv1

vv1 Guest

I have the exact same problem. Booting from CD with my old harddisk installed works OK, so the CD itself must be functional. Replacing the hard disk with a brand new one and rebooting, gives me the error screen described above (error code 16). I have created a backup using "System Utils", and copied the contents from c:\backup to the CD image. No luck.

4. kapnkruch

kapnkruch Guest

the only thing I can think of is that maybe the HD is not set to Cable Select....other than that I dont know

5. ianix

ianix Member

I had the same problem but the fix is to install a hard drive with a working dashboard, such as the original hard drive. The reason for the error is that the xbox internal clock is not set. The xbox wants to first set the clock but cannot load the dashboard in order to set the clock.

Once the clock has been set, you can put in the new hard drive and the error 16 should be gone._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Boldly left before no one noticed[/small]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  6. SimpL

SimpL Member

ianix: if he wants to install a new hard drive, how does installing the original hd solve his problem?

i am experiencing the exact same problem. the only thing i can think of is that the hd might be faulty.

7. djc11369

djc11369 Member

You may have already checked this but what bios do you have installed? Some do not support hdd swap.

8. XKoDiaKX

XKoDiaKX Member

i am have the same problem.. but in my case i tried to use a hdd with a working dash. Still did not work. I've tried every tutorial out there and nothing seems to work for this problem. Does anyone elses error screen on show half(the right upper half like a triangle) when you insert the boot cd?.. The only other thing that I can think of is that the bios is not flashed properly. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!