1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Instant Copy

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Catman_kz, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

Hello! I am using IC to backup my dvd's, but I found some problems. I cant't use the preview function. If I click the play button, nothing happens. My other problem is that I saved the encoded dvd into a .pdi file, but when I try to open it with Pinnacle's virtual dvd it gives me some error about access violation (I have XP SP2).
    Is there anyone who has the same problem?

2. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

And I forgot that the .pdi image is in 4 or 5 part. Is this normal?

3. Mr2Tone

Mr2Tone Guest

I had the same problem and found the answer on the Pinnacle webboard. You probably have your default fonts in windows set to large. Try setting the default fonts to regular and it should solve the preview problem.

As for the PDI extension, if you write to the hard drive using IC8 it creates pdi files of 1 gig or so, I usually end up with 5 or 6 pdi files depending on the size of the movie and extras.

You may use Decrypter to burn the pdi files to DVD but you will have to go into the settings in decrypter and check the pdi file extension. Another option is to use PDITools to convert the pdi files back to Vob, bup, ifo format.

Hope this helps.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I love IC 8's quality, it is bested by ONLY RB/CCE in my opinion. On the other hand I hate it's re-authoring capabilities. That preview button works about half the time. It does great on large amts. of compression and will burn from within the app.

If you want to keep some extras and still lower compression on your main movie IC 8 will allow you to set compression for each indvidual extra.

So, how do I get around the editing problem? I use DVDRemake. This is a re-authoring program only, the best I've seen. It will even remove the link to what you removed so you can't even try to go to an edited section. It costs 25.00.

Anyway, that's how I use IC 8, thought this might be an alternative solution.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  5. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

Mr2Tone, thanks for the tip, but I don't think that my windows fonts are set to large. But I'll chek that. And this PDITools sound interesting if it can convert back to vob, ifo, etc. I like to burn with nero giving it the vobs, ifos, bups...

bigorange, I also like IC8's quality very much. I am now testing it's capabilities, so I am transcoding the full Lion King DVD (8 GB). What you wrote about editing DVD sound very interesting, I'll give it a try.

6. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

I found another problem... Some videos are missing from the compilation after recoding. I tested the Lion King DVD, and after recoding, the language selection menu was missing (which appears right after inserting the dvd into the player). The menu itself was working but the video was missing so I had to select the language on a totally black screen... The size of this video was 0.04MB. Do someone else have this problem?

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

Catman_kz

I too have had this problem. Albeit only once..Schindlers list. I think you may have been very unlucky, as was I, with your experience. Don't lose too much sleep over the problem, these app's occasionally "throw a wobbler" to tease us all.

8. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

So there's nothing I can do about it? Well then I think I'll have to correct it with DVDRemake...

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Switch to DVD Shrink v3.2, lol.

Edit: sorry I couldn't resist. :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  10. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

Well, I'm really hesitating... :) But lot of people say that IC has better picture quality, and transcoding with Shrink using AEC takes as long as IC so I'd like to stay with IC. :)

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

IC 8 is a good app, use DVDremake to re-author. They work fine together.

The new shrink 3.2 is also very good, it's free and you can burn with decrypter-it's also free. Why not have both? It doesn't hurt to have more than one backup proggy. definitely no law against it. If you have problems, you only have to ask. ;)

I use about 5 different ones. Different apps for different situations. That way you have a backup for your backups.

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

"But lot of people say that IC has better picture quality."

Why don't you give it a try and decide for yourself.

I'm not trying to "sell" you DVD Shrink, it's free and I have nothing to gain from it, but it might just fix the problems you're experiencing with these discs. :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  13. Catman_kz

Catman_kz Member

"Why don't you give it a try and decide for yourself."

I tried both. But at higher compression IC seemed to be better (although I didn't play too much with Shrink's AEC settings...) I'll use IC for now, but it's good to have another program if there's some trouble with the other. And who knows? Maybe Shrink will defeat IC in later releases... :)

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

dvdshrink's main goal, when working on v3.2, was to equal IC8 in output quality.
    In the later stages of its development, we managed to achieve that goal.
    But the reason why v3.2 public release was delayed was he and all the beta-testers (including myself) wanted to improve it even further.
    I believe we did. ;)

DVD Shrink "Maximum Smoothness" setting will equal, and in some cases better IC8 output.
    Depending on the original title quality/bitrate, the other AEC settings will show an even more significant improvement over IC8.

With all due respect, whether you use IC8 or DVD Shrink v3.2 doesn't make any difference to me.
    So the bottom-line is, use whatever software you think is best. :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004