1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with king kong and narnia

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fourlc, Mar 25, 2006.

1. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have to agree on the Narnia protection, Decrypter alone handled this one in iso read mode. Ripguard alone is an easier protection to get around, then the Sony ARccOS and Puppetlock. Sometimes it just takes a little patience to find the right combination.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks Arnie. Maybe if they hear it enough, they'll realize Narnia was almost as easy as King Kong.

moses245
    As Arnie mentioned, with Decrypter and Shrink, success hinges on using the ISO R mode to rip. File mode doesn't work. On some releases where the copyright protection isn't too bad Shrink will process the files in ISO when it won't in File mode. ISO isn't a panacea though, there's copyright protections that neither mode will handle alone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
  3. moses245

moses245 Member

Sorry guys... that message was posted on the wrong forum and I do get what you are saying... just PTSD after a hectic week!

4. hound64

hound64 Member

I must be lucky as I just put my disc in, got to DVD Shrink and burn the disc. Disc's Like Fun with Dick and Jane, King Kong and all the others that have been mentioned have went right through with just using Shrink. Once or twice I use Clone on the ones that don't go, but other than that its easy.

5. Aussie_13

Aussie_13 Guest

im trying to burn Narnia but every time i try to decrypt it wit dvd decrypter or burn it wit dvd shrink it closes those programs or makes then unresponsive please help?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Rip it in ISO R mode with DVD Decrypter and open the ripped files in Shrink. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad disc or may be having system problems. I don't know how many times we need to say it, this was an easy one. Out of curiosity, did you read any of this thread or are you just asking because this is a thread that looks like the right spot?

7. Aussie_13

Aussie_13 Guest

i've read parts of the threads and tried it in iso read mode and in file mode but it just closes the program. the disc worked fine when i watched it on the dvd player. and all the other movies i've used dvd decrypter for worked.

8. moses245

moses245 Member

Don't you just so angry when you get "cyclic redundency check" error... we can't get around that can we? (shrink, decrypter etc.)

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Some DVDs will play but not record. Minor flaws in the press (that the standalone player handles) will cause bad sectors and stop the backup. As moses245 said, this can cause cyclic redundancy. You can do a read scan to check the source for bad sectors. If it's just software, try the AnyDVD trial at Slysoft, http://www.slysoft.com/ . When you get a good "cleaned" source, most apps can handle the transcode and burn.

10. S2K

S2K Regular member

This is not caused by any protection but by a scratched dis. since this thread is about narnia and king kong, both of which are new rip fine with dvdfab decrypter or the PgcEdit plug in wizard it is a none issue.

if you just bought it return it for a non scratched copy. if it were hypothetically a rental, one would simply return as scratched it for a better copy

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

The majority of CRC errors are caused by damaged disks, however Sony ARccOS and other protection can cause CRC errors in Shrink and Decrypter. Neither of which has been updated to compensate for new protection.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45339

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Arniebear
    Glad you pointed that out. I don't think I could have covered it more eloquently. You're becoming a fountain of information. Keep up the good work. Now I know who to look to for answers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

S2K
    Arnie is right, software with the Cyclic Redundancy data error will exhibit it when the app hits a problem data sector(s). The sector can either be the damaged physical type you mentioned (scratched or faulty press) or one induced by copyright protection. A lot of what we're doing on new releases is repairing induced errors by the copyright protection, whether with the software like DVDFab Decrypter, AnyDVD and others or the more labor intensive PgcEdit method, which uses a number of apps, including DVD Decrypter. I vaguely remember the quick scan in DVD Shrink is used as a quick compliance test. Surprisingly enough, a lot of people are still using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I can see where you might misunderstand if not familiar with the software.

14. Enniss

Enniss Member

g'day all. Narnia is the 1st DVD I've any dramas backing up. King kong

presented no problems using my usual trio of DVDdecrytper, DVDshrink &
    Nero 6.

The easiest way I've found so far to deal with the Narnia protections
    is to have AnyDVD 5.8.x running in the background while you either
    backup the full disk to HDD or re-author & shrink with DVDshrink onto HDD, then burn as usual with Nero. AnyDVD detects the file structure protections on the original disk & corrects them.
    Of course you could use DVDshrink to burn as well if you like.
    I just like to use Nero.
    By the way, I reckon $AU5.60 each is quite reasonable for DL disks.

cheers.

15. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Enniss

I've been telling folks that if you run into any problems backing up,

just burn movie to HD using the AnyDVD ripper. Then you can use either Nero, Shrink, or CloneDVD, to burn onto disc.

I haven't run into any problems what so ever, after discovering the awesome AnyDVD ripper.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Strange, DVD Shrink doesn't burn. With AnyDVD all you need to do is have it on and you can open Shrink to transcode and set to burn with one of the supported burners you have, either DVD Decrypter or Nero. With the included ripper in AnyDVD, you have the alternative to rip files to the HDD while processing for compliance and then open the HDD files in Shrink. What are you doing using an older version of AnyDVD? You're supposed to keep it updated. That's how you get updated files for use in bypassing newer copyright protections. With DL the easiest route is to just use AnyDVD and burn with Decrypter. If the files won't burn on the fly, just rip to the HDD and then burn.

17. moses245

moses245 Member

I know this has nothing to do with narnia or Kong... but I feel that I must share my pain with all you good folk.... I overclocked my cpu to oblivion 3 days ago.... my 4 month old cpu!! all in the name of faster ripping!!!!! grrrrrrrr.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i dont understand why you say you cant burn with dvd shrink?? i am doing it right now. doing my backup of Last Holiday as we speak using dvdshrink and anydvd running in the background.

19. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You can, but Shrink [bold]alone[/bold] will not do new encryptions. As you just stated

It needs AnyDVD, DVD43 in the background, or DVDFab Decrypter to rip the file first.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh ok just thought i might be missing something here, or doing something wrong.when i dont use clonedvd2 i only use dvdsrhink, just thought i was screwing up.i didnt mean to questin you like that brobear/arniebear, i know you know what your talking about.i thouhgt i was doing something wrong in my process of burning...i do know that useing DVDSHRINK is alot slower than clonedvd2.to be honest i dont know why i still use it..lol guess just to do it differntly

Last edited: May 9, 2006