1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with mouse and keyboard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gozilla, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

Recently I have been encountering some problems with the mouse and keyboard on my computer. It will all work fine for a while and then the mouse will just stop working, accompanied by the sound windows makes when a USB device is unplugged/replunged (the mouse is USB, keyboard PS/2). Upon restarting after said problem with the mouse, the mouse will still not work and along with it the keyboard will usually stop working as well.
    The devices in question are,
    1.Microsoft Internet Keyboard
    2.Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB

I changed the mouse a while back and it seemed to remedy the problem, but now with a different mouse (Creative Mouse Optical Lite), the problems have returned. I’m leaning towards is being a software problem (pointing finger at Windows XP SP1), as keyboard will work fine in BIOS (but not in Windows) and USB Light of mouse is on before Windows starts up. Has anyone else had, or heard of similar problems.

System specs are as follows,

1.Athlon 2100+ processor
    2.Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard
    3.300W power-supply (also thinking may be power issue, have a lot of things hanging off USB ports)
    4.768MB system ram (1X 256, 1X 512)

All the drivers for motherboard, mouse and keyboard are installed, and in some cases have tried updating to latest version however without much success.

And finally, the fan on the Northbridge controller stopped working so I just took it out. There is a relatively large heat sink already present on the Northbridge controller, and since I’m not over clocking, or planing on over clocking the system, I though the heat sink should provide more than enough cooling for the Northbridge controller.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a ps2 mouse to see what happens. also try another keyboard.

3. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

the mouse came with a USB->PS/2 converter. at first it will work (using the converter, but then again over time, the same problems occur, the mouse just goes dead (the red laser on the mouse just cuts off and on, and eventually terminally off)

i will try and find a mouse that is PS/2 and PS/2 only.