1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Nero 6 and XP

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by art191, Apr 26, 2005.

1. art191

art191 Member

I recently took delivery of a new pc, preloaded with Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD. I've tried using the Pinnacle having previously used Nero but hated it, too cluttered and definitely not user-friendly. So I uninstalled it and have loaded Nero 6.

When I attempted to open the program there was a crash caused by an apparent known XP incompatibilty. I downloaded the recommended patches from Nero but I'm still having problems. I did a straight cd to cd copy without a problem but when I attempt to burn a music compilation cd it fails. Simulation is successful, immediately the burn starts I get "SONY DVDRWDW-D22A logical unit not ready, operation in progress" Then 30 seconds later the burn process fails. I've saved the log file which I can post if it helps.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this?

2. art191

art191 Member

Anybody?

3. robertson

robertson Guest

1. Did you contact Pinnacle to confirm that you uninstalled the application completely?

2. Have you confirmed you have the latest firmware for your drive?

3. Did Nero report all patches were successfully applied? As you probably know, Nero requires that you uninstall portions of the CD-ROM installation before applying certain patches. Their website is very good at providing the latest version numbers.

Good luck,
    Jake

4. art191

art191 Member

Thanks Jake. The drive is only a couple of months old so should be ok.(I hope)

What would I need to contact Pinnacle for?

Not sure about your point 3. Maybe I should un-install completely and go through the procedure again?

5. robertson

robertson Guest

1. Often times hardware sits at a distributor, so I wouldn’t just assume the firmware is current. The latest firmware I found for your drive is from November and is called BYS3. Windows XP will tell you the firmware version installed, just right click the drive and view properties, on the device manager page. (Nero gives a whole lot more info, including the driver.) If you need help with that just post.

2. Sometimes burning software will not truly uninstall. While the program may delete itself from the program list, important .dll (shared files) and registry entries can cause problems for future programs that perform similar tasks. Pinnacle should assist you in properly removing their program. (They may have a simple guide in a knowledge base, on their site.)

3. If you aren't sure if Nero reported success after the six major updates to Nero, than I would go to version number page of the program and open a browser to http://www.nero.com. Compare the version numbers. Early versions of Nero 6 have lots of errors similar to what you are experiencing.

Good luck,
    Jake

6. art191

art191 Member

Firmware is the one you mention. I'll check out the Pinnacle site and let you know how I get on.....thanks again.

7. art191

art191 Member

ps: You are right, Pinnacle do a Regdelete tool to be used after uninstallation. I'll run it before attempting to reinstall Nero. Incidentally, they also recommend terminating all background programs, except Explorer and Systray obviously, before installing Pinnacle, do you think this is worthwhile trying with Nero?

8. robertson

robertson Guest

It's worth trying, but most programs aren't going to let you terminate them. I wouldn't go through the aggravation of safe-mode, but I would try to shut-down as many as I could.

Good luck,
    Jake

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I have a HP ZD7000 laptop running Windows XP PRO. I needed to make some DVD's and was suggested to get NERO ULTRA so I did. The DVD's burned fine. (I did this about two weeks ago). The past two nights I tried loading software and heard some "clicking" noices in my DVD / CD-RW Drive (it has a DVD burner). One time I was able to get the software to load and the other it won't. The light goes out on the drive and when I open "My Computer" it shows that there is nothing in the drive. So I ran HP Disgnostics (inclduing advanced) and it showed that there was not any problems. Previous to my installing the NERO, the only thing I ever heard was my drive would get a little loud but was working 100% fine. Is my problem NERO ?

10. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

Nice Log