1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with PowerDVD 7

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by SidCowans, Jun 26, 2007.

1. SidCowans

SidCowans Member

I'm slowly working my way through dozens of TV recordings on DVD +R discs ..... all Philips discs recorded on a Philips DVD recorder.

When I load them into my PC and select PowerDVD to review them, 2 out of every 3 cause the software to hang. You sometimes see the menu (created on the Philips recorder) before it hangs, other times the PowerDVD window goes black and then hangs.

Only ejecting the disc brings it back to life again.

All the discs are finalized and there is no obvious difference between those that work and those that don't.

Any ideas ?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Use better media than Philips media! Your disks are the problem. Philips usually code out to CMC MAGS which are terrible media that has compatibility problems and degrades fast! I suspect that your disks degraded enough to cause havoc with your drive (reading errors) and thus hang your program up...... that's why when you eject your disk the program goes back to normal! Your faulty disk is causing this problem. And you should be aware that if you keep trying to read these disks could cause your drive to go into PIO mode which is a lower grade reading processor for your drive...... always make sure your drive is in DMA mode! check to make sure your drive didn't slip into PIO mode: http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/231/dmaissues
    and here is a media guide (I don't agree with their TDK listing!) but it's a guide that will let you know what is out there and what is comparably considered best: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

the rule here is use MIJs (made in Japan) disks. Taiyo Yuden, and some brands like Sony, Fuji, Maxell have MIJs. Look to the box or spindle and make sure it says MIJ on it.... Taiyo Yuden can be found online in stores like Supermediastore.com, Rima.com, Meritline.com and other reputable online stores. In My Opinion..... Taiyo Yudens are the best! Verbatim (the only non MIJ I will let near my burners) are also top notch! You shouldn't have these problems with these disks.

there are a few other reasons why a disk can make software hang..... if you didn't burn them correctly and it caused reading errors..... like burning them too fast! But with your Philips disks..... they are CMC MAGs..... which are known to cause problems later! So I suggest you use better media and you'll see your problems disappear!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007