1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with second hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jerecho, Sep 15, 2007.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i am trying to get my new 500g sata hard drive to work but when i fire up the computer it is recognized as a removable disk and not a hard drive. can someone point me in the right direction?
    thanks

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

You will have to format it...

3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i tried. all it says is insert disk.

4. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

is there a different way to format other than just trying to right click on the icon in "My computer"?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

thank you for helping. when i go into disk management it does not show up. the hard drive is a western digital model wd500ks. im not sure what you mean when you say "bios"? i kinda of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. i would have to say no, the bios does not see it. thanks again

7. ddp

the bios is the permanet memory of the computer. it tells the cpu what to do til the operating system starts. if the bios does not see the drive then windows won't either. check your user guide or motherboard manual on how to enter the bios to see if can detect the new hd. does the new hd spin at all? reconnect both the power & data cables to the drive & motherboard. is that a sata 3 drive & does your motherboard support sata 3 drives? if yes on 1st part & no on 2nd part then move a jumper on the drive from sata 3 to sata 1 configuration. check hd documentation for that info.

8. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i got into my system start up screen and i cant find where to have it auto detect new hard drives. the new hard drive is the same brand and type as my original drive. my mother board has 4 spots for sata cord to plug in. the only thing that was plugged in was my first hard drive. i plugged in the new hard drive directly below the other hard drive. when i go into my start up screen and go under hard drives both drives are showing up. im stumped and frustrated. im going to look at my motherboard instructions but im sure it will all be greek to me! thanks again

9. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

my motherboard does support ATA 3Gb/s

10. ddp

is there 2 cables into the new drive. do you hear the drive spinning?

11. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

the new drive has a spot for power and the sata cable. i cant tell if the new drive is spinning or the old one. im reading how to update the bios now.

12. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

ok here is where i stand. i have updated the bios to the most current one. i am still having the same problem. my old drive is plugged into sata 1 and the new drive is in sata 2. i dont know what else to try.

13. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

does anyone know why windows would assign a 3.5 floppy drive on my computer even when i dont have one. i also completely unplugged my new hard drive and the removable disk icon that it assigned for the new hard drive will not go away even with it being unplugged?

14. barricade

barricade Guest

You need to check your BIOS. Usually it is F2 or DEL right when the computer turns on. There is an option for Floppy drive in BIOS, disable that. Also make sure all of your SATA channels are enabled. Last thing you might have to do is make sure your SATA bios is updated. I have an older asus board and in order to recognize my 750 gig drive I had to not only flash the bios for my board, but for the SATA controller as well.

15. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i finally figured it out. it had nothing to do with the bios. if anyone is having the same prob with a secondary drive and the same situation give me a pm and i will go into the specs. thank you so much to everyne who helped me out with this along the way (thanks a ton ddp). thanks again

jerecho

16. ddp

no problem, teach & learn. post how you resolved your problem so others can learn from your experience.

17. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i cant say for sure if updating the bios had anything to do with it. but i guess it is good to do anyway. basicly all i had to do was right click on "my computer" and select manage. then choose disk management. it then showed both drives but my new one had a red line through it. i right clicked on the new drive and chose enable or something like that. then i was able to format the drive. when it was done formatting i was able to use it. my problem the whole time was opening "my computer" and trying to access the drive when i should have right clicked on it.