1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with The Forgotten

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by vike, Jan 18, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

AnyDVD is a driver type decrypter that breaks the encryption of factory DVDs. You can read the product description at Slysoft's website, http://www.slysoft.com and get the 21 day trial to check it out. AnyDVD can rip for DVD Shrink, but it doesn't replace it. You still need Shrink to encode the files. AnyDVD is definitely worth the money.

2. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

ok here is the FAIL SAFE way to get movies like "The Forgotten" and the like....

all you need is Shrink to rip, and Nero OR DVD Decrypter to burn (i recommend Nero for quality reasons).

allow Shrink to initally analyze the disk, then choose Re-Author. Drag only Title 1 (if you only want the movies and no menus/extras = better quality movie). after moving the Title 1, right-click Title 1 and choose "edit Start/End frames" (something like that i recall). then you can literally decide where the movie begins and ends. then click Backup and choose whatever suits your tastes....again i highly recommend Nero for the burning process.

3. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

btw - i almost forgot!

please do not pay SlySoft the ungodly rip-off price of $40 for AnyDVD or CloneDVD for that matter - they are simply not needed unless you just want to give up your money.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

kyle2k4
    You described a method of editing out the problem, not recording the whole DVD as some people like to do. Sometimes the problem encryption is incorporated into the movie files. You start needing to go over DVDs file by file which is a time consuming process. Many of us on the forum think the AnyDVD is worth the cost. That is a personal opinion, just as you think it's a ripoff. Luckily, Slysoft has a 3 week trial so the good members of the forum can make up their own mind. I think it's a good app, but everyone should make up their own mind.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

A bag of groceries, a tank of gas, a meal at a decent restaurant, game tickets, or a spindle of recordable DVDs; 40 dollars just doesn't look that ungodly anymore. A teenager going out on a cheap date had better have more than $40. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2005
  6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

THE FORGOTTEN can be done with DVD X COPY PLATINUM with DVD REGION +CSS running in the background. It worked for me fine.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    Glad to see they finally got that ripper fixed. For some reason AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter both had the ARccOS encryption from Sony broken in no time. Region Free was working on it a long time after the others had moved on. I own both Region Free and AnyDVD. Both are good apps, but I prefer AnyDVD because the program is updated more quickly.

8. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

well i tried using AnyDVD numerous times on "The Forgotten" in particular AND it simply does not break the encryption on its own. i have read ALL of the afterdawn.com forums on this matter and tried ALL of the listed possible configurations - AnyDVD did nothing to help, just as it did nothing on breaking the Bourne Supremacy. when i see evidence myself that it helps, i will consider it.

btw - screw inflation and what is reasonable to most. a program that sometimes breaks new encryptions is not worth $40. why do you think it is one of the most hacked programs out there on the P2P circuit??? its too much if they expect most people to pay for it, just as Windows is as well (consequently the hacking continues). simple economics that the techies are too stupid to get.

i understand wanting the entire dvd, but i would prefer the movie to work and not spend $40 than vice versa. i didn't edit out the problem either, i simply went after what i was looking for - the problem just simply happened to be in the extra/menu portion of the dvd.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

kyle2k4 you dont have to pay for
    ANYDVD you can download the trail verison and reload it when it runs out.and make sure you have the lastest verison of DVD DERRYPTER and make sure your harddrive is clean do a disc cleanup and a defrag. that might help. its help me in the passed.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

kyle2k4
    That's an easy one; AnyDVD is one of the most popular programs or they wouldn't bother.

I've been using AnyDVD and Decrypter for quite a while. I didn't realize there was a problem with the Bourne Supremacy until people started talking about it. I'd already done a full backup of it without a problem.

I knew The Forgotten was using unreadable sector encryption (Sony's ARccOS). So, I knew I would have to use overrides with DVD Decrypter and Nero Express; when I used RB/CCE to encode. AnyDVD was working in the background. Unlike others who reported exaggerated times, I was able to enter the override commands and do the backup in the same amount of time I would for a like sized movie without ARccOS. So, AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter work great in unison and for most things AnyDVD can work alone. I've been able to back up all of my movies without a problem. If you're not getting it, then you're doing something wrong. I am talking about doing full backups without the need for editing.

BTW, I was experimenting with The Forgotten, so I did one recording with Shrink. I left AnyDVD running in the background as directed. I used DVD Decrypter to rip to the HD. I opened the files with Shrink and encoded, creating a HD file. I burned the encoded HD file with Nero Express. CopyToDVD can also be used as a burner as well. One could easily set the program to burn automatically. Also, with the HD file from Shrink, most any good burner app will do the job.

One thing a lot of people don't realize, DVD Shrink will correct file structure with encoded files that sometimes show up with problems in other encoders. Just to check it out, I ran files encoded with RB/CCE through Shrink and it corrected a problem. There was bogus info in an IFO file. An override with Nero burned it. Running the files through Shrink at no compression also corrected the problem to where there were no burn warnings with Nero.

11. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Good Lord....a plate of linguine with garlic and olive oil is more than that.....lol

12. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

ok bottom line is this.....i've been using Decrypter and Shrink just as long as you have brobear (because i have been since it came into existence) and know what the hell i am doing. its obvious that every copy of every movie is not the same, period. i have tried multiple configurations using AnyDVD with Decrypter/Shrink - no success. the way that Decrypter is ripping the files to my HD is preventing Shrink from even analyzing it (due to bogus IFO file i believe). AnyDVD doesn't fix that. it doesn't matter if you rip to files or to .iso, same result. and yes i have used the settings that ScubaPete is so often giving out to newbies on this forum.

13. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

and this is all, btw, with "The Forgotten". thought i should clarify. i have 100's upon 100's of full DVD backups, it ain't that hard.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ kyle2k4,

A news flash:

DVD Shrink doesn't have the ability to rip "The Bourne Supremacy" with the ARccOS encryption OR "The Forgotten with the Settec ALPHA-DVD encryption.

Sorry but DVD Shrink doesn't do it - probably because those encryptions weren't around when last Mr. "DVDShrink" was upgrading it as Brobear knows because he was given an advanced beta copy for his personal use prior to it's public release and I had an advanced copy as I was a beta-tester for DVD Shrink from then during it's original release through it's "tweaks" released, to the current proggy being used at this time.

For the ARccOS encryption you'll need either AnyDVD, VOBBlanker or the DVDD which "LightingUK" upgraded to specifically handle that type of encryption and released it on Jan. 05,05. As for the Settec ALPHA-DVD encryption, which came into being on Jan. 18th, 2005, you'll need AnyDVD as even the DVDD released on Jan. 05 won't work without a PSL attachment.

Addressing the "Jumping Jack" AKA "Running Kid", encryptions, DVD Shrink can handle those types by "freezing" the "clips" in the menus OR the Unreferenced Materials. Be advised that they are completely different than the ARccOS and Settec ALPHA-DVD encryptions.

At this point in time, AnyDVD is the only ripper, driver type or otherwise, that is capable of ripping all of the encryptions out there. If you don't think that $40.00 (USD) isn't a super deal then I don't know what is -

Cheers,

Pete

15. Naui3355

Naui3355 Member

kyle2k4,

Could you please explain what makes such a difference in the burning quality -

Thanks

16. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

hey Scuba if you would read my post - YES DVD Shrink does work they way that i described it, because i did it last night and watch the movie last night - so you need update your reportoire of ways it can be done my friend.

as for Any DVD....if anyone can explain why they think that i might have not had ANY success using ANYDvd along with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink then that would be great. i used numerous times with continual failure. AnyDVD is not the automatic magic trick to this equation.

you know its SO NEAT that you think you are the experts about all of this, but there are others that bring some insight to the whole copying ballgame. i have used your advice in the past to some successes and some not successes - you aren't perfect just i am not, brobear is not, and ANYDvD is not.....

btw - Nero, again IMHO, produces a better looking DVD on my tv screen. this is after burning some 250-300 DVDs over the last six months alone. again IMHO..

17. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

flip218
    _ 18. January 2005 @ 23:24 _ Report an offensive post Send private message to this user
    Any error message? cause I ripped with DVD Decrypter (newest version 3.5.2.0).

my case in point (by one of the Moderators no less).

18. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well Goodness me, kyle2k4, is correct - There's no way it can be anything than what he's telling us, one doesn't argue with a God . . .

No worries there kyle2k4, we'll all update our files -

Hey all,
    kyle2k4 has a very special DVD Shrink, one that none of us have ever seen and it rips all encryptions that have come into being well after it's release date. We'll also take notice that our "Techno" friend has AnyDVD that DOESN'T work and "Isn't an "automatic" trick to this equation. That would indeed explain everything. AnyDVD doesn't work BUT DVD Shrink does. OK, I'll buy that . . .

Ohhh, thanks for such a technically explained answer - I'm sure our new friend naui3355 understood it, as did we all - had it been explained earlier I would have never suggested burnatonce, imgTooBurn, RecordNowMax, CopyToDVD, DVDD or any burner other than Nero. Quite an equation you've presented, thanks much ~

Pete. . .

PS. Thanks for making me your friend, I'm so gratefull -

20. kyle2k4

kyle2k4 Guest

screw you ScubaFreak....jack-ass.

its funny that you aren't always right but you love to call other people out. i never said that i had a different version of DVD Shrink, i said that used the reauthor to capture only the start frame to the end frame - nothing else. that DOES work and that is what i said - learn to f***in read and you wouldn't look like a fool.

AnyDVD does not always crack everything - all system settings HAVE to be set appropriately (DIFFERENT FOR EVERY MACHINE - very few are the exact same), AND every single DVD disc has the potential to produce a different set of results even though its the same movie (just look at all of the varied results on the forum), thus i am exactly right in what i said for my set of circumstances and you may very well be right for yours.....

you know you need to acquire some etiquette and quit offending members of this forum - YES you have done it in numerous other posts i have read recently. nobody cares about your silly rules or what has to be done or can't be done here - they come here for help and info, not you or any of the other "addicts" or "moderators"......