1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by oats1013, Jul 31, 2007.

1. oats1013

oats1013 Member

I have 2 new computers with Vista Basic Home on them. Both have 512 memory & they start up real slow & shut down slow. Every now & then on both computers I get the Blue Screen of Death without any error messages.I'm able to restart back up right away but once again it takes forever to get started. I have heard all kinds of cures but looking for more help.I've heard if I get another 1Gb of memory for each computer, that should go along way in fixing these computers. Is this true or false? Any & all help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks - Joe

2. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

512mb of ram is the very minimum Vista can support,so its no wonder why your experiencing slow start ups.If you can upgrade to 2gb,but if you cant afford it you should be fine with another 512mb of ram.

3. carlwit

carlwit Member

I have a few Toshiba laptops that came with Vista preinstalled. All have 1 gigabyte ram memory. I configured and installed a dual boot with Windows XP.

Vista is much slower than XP and uses about four times more disk space. I hibernate Vista. Much faster than shutdown.

4. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Hibernate also eats away your HD space...

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

you can go in to the settings for vista and turn off and remove things to make vista work much better but you need more ram i have a 1gb chip on my laptop with vista basic and after i tweeked some settings every thing works so much better

6. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

Sometimes, drivers for keyboards, mouse, graphic cards and what-not can cause problems as well. My drivers for my logitech keyboard was causing mine to take forever to shut down or it just wouldn't shut down at all. Had to get into windows defender and shut down things one-by-one till i found out what the problem was. Just a little insight for you.