1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probs with DVD Shrink Backing Up A DVD.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Shaun2209, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

I'm trying to back up a DVD of mine using DVD Shrink. However, Shrink will not analyse my original disc. The only thing I can think of is that the original disc is damaged/corrupt.

Anyway, using DVD Decrypter, I've managed to rip an image from the disc. Trouble is the resulting ISO image is 7.95GB in length. The rip has also left me with an MDS image of 8.22KB. Anyone know what this file is?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Shaun

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Now that you have ripped the DVD with decrypter, it has to be edited and/or compressed. Decrypter can't do that. Open shrink again and instead of using "open disc", use "open files" and browse to the folder you just ripped with decrypter. Then use shrink as you normally would.

Sometimes shrink comes across a DVD it can't rip, Decrypter has a better, more powerful ripper, it's perfect for situations like this :>)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  3. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi bigorange,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that but after I navigate to the folder where the ISO image is all I get is an error message saying: "Failed to open blah blah blah, the system cannot find the file specified."

I'm stumped.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Rip the DVD again with Decrypter using "file mode" instead of ISO mode. Then open shrink, open files and click on the entire folder and see what happens :>)

5. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Ok, I'll try that.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :>)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey shaun2209, What is the title of the dvd you are trying to back up. Maybe somebody is having trouble backing it up? I am having the same trouble with day after tomorrow. It won't let me completely analyze after i open disc on dvd shrink. It get to the same spot and stops. I also tried it on my dad's nec ? 4x burner and it did the same thing. It had glitches on it when i played on my dvd recorder for the tv.I think my ploblem is a scratched disc. Hopefully somebody will let us know if they backed up the same movie as you are trying to back up. Later

8. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi saugmon,

The title I've been having probs with is a DVD of The Rumble In The Jungle, the Ali fight.

Yes, from my own experience, it sounds like you have a dodgy disc. The advice I've received is to try and rip an image from the disc using DVD Decrypter, then burn as normal. Apparently its a far more powerful ripping tool than DVD Shrink.

Hope that helps.

Shaun.

9. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi again bigorange,

I followed your advice re using file mode instead of ISO mode. Guess what? It worked a treat.

I run it through Shrink and it is now happily encoding ready to burn with Decrypter.

Thanks for your excellent advice.

Shaun.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

your welcome :>)

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It had glitches on it when i played on my dvd recorder for the tv.

saugmon,

That is indeed a good indication of a bad disc. Also, if your error message is a CRC message, you need to take it back and exchange it.

i did this movie with no problems whatsoever :>)

12. diverine

diverine Member

Shaun2209: Thanks for the great question..
    Bigorange: Thanks for the great post.

You guys helped me out sooo much today!

take care,

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Shaun2209,

To avoid this problem in the future whether you're ripping in the ISO mode OR the File mode we need to adjust our settings within DVD Decrypter -

I'd like you to re-set your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO Read Mode", "tick" "Remove PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

This makes Decrypter a force to be reckoned with now. Other than a bad disc DVD Decrypter should now rip anything on a DVD :)

Cheers,

Pete

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

diverine, Thank you and you're welcome :>)

Pete, good suggestion, hope all is well my friend :>)

15. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi diverine,

Thanks for that.
    Glad this thread helped you as much as it helped me.

If you're ever stuck again and looking for inspiration come back again as this Forum is excellent with some very helpful and experienced people only too willing to help.

I'm learning something new virtually everyday.

Take care. Shaun

16. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi ScubaPete,

Thanks for the excellent tip.
    I will adjust my settings right away.

Thanks again.

Shaun.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Doing well "Big" guy - have tried to get hold of you for rebuild settings -

"P"