1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processing & Burning Blu-Ray movies

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by mtouset, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mtouset

mtouset Member

odin24--I currently use two methods, Ripbot254 & BD-rebuilder). Easy to understand, 2-step processing to include IMGBURN. I have tried to understand RYU77's guidance and while I believe I have an administrative mind, I don't have a technical mind and I need things explained step-by-step and simply. I asked RYU77 if I could use MEGUI like BD-rebuilder, but he never responded. I am interested in TSMUXER and MEGUI, I just can't seem to get their respective functions. Maybe when you guys come out with simpler guidance, I can tackle those pieces of software. I have them, I just don't understand their real purpose or abc's of usage. I have been staying in touch with these posts, but it seems these folks have a much better understanding. Anyway, I welcome any clarity to my confusion. Regards MTouset

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

MeGUI is a great GUI that gives you control over the encoder x264, and others, other types of video/audio processing, etc. Ripbot264 and BD-Rebuilder are designed specifically for mkv/BD to AVCHD/BD (compressed), mux to AVCHD/BD, and burn.

If you wish to go the MeGUI route (which is what I do) it is easy once you get the hang of it. Unfortunatley... for you, the MeGUI route needs more guidance than the Ripbot/BD-R route (two click method). MeGUI cannot mux and burn... this is where tsMuxeR and IMG burn come in to play, you'll need to control these functions too.

I need a little more info before I can help you more. Is your source video mkv or BD rips? Are you familiar with demuxing/remuxing.... would you consider yourself a noob, intermediate, or confident in A/V processing?

Next make sure you have these versions of MeGUI and tsMuxeR.

MeGUI = Download this version, not AD's hyperlink)

tsMuxeR = and this is the latest stable version. I don't think there is a GUI in this download, just copy/paste the GUI from your old version and run from the same folder as 1.8.34.

Once you get MeGUI set up I can help more.

3. mtouset

mtouset Member

I'm not exactly a Noob, but I do better in following guidance in layman's terms. I am ripping BD's to my hardrive using AnyDVD. Followed by BD-Rebuilder (checking Movie Only) and finally I step away for about 18 hours. IT Works so I deal with the lengthy time from.. I do have the latest TSMUXER and MEGUI with the RYU77 profile. I just don't know which does what to get to the IMGBURN point. I'm mostly interest because what I read tells me the quality is better. When I Rip the BD movies, I'm left with a fairly large M2ts transport file which is the file that I input into BD-Rebuilder. I know I'm not dense, but I'm use to step by step without straying to explain other options. Again, I obtain the BD movies and I use AnyDVD to rip them to my hard drive that leaves me with an m2TS file plain and simple. What next?? By the way, I appreciate the quick response. I've been following your posts also. Just as an FYI, I have a huge external hardrive to maintain my rips and and my computer is comprised of Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3, and Anthlon 64 X2 Dual, 6000+ processor with a 3.10 GHz and 3.25 GB of RAM. Now you know the whole story. Maybe when , you get right down to it, I’m pretty much a Noob. But I’m a willing one. Regards, Touset

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Two more things. Is your external FAT32, or NTFS? There is a nice utility that manages HD movies called AVCHD Manager, my step by step will include this. Using this method you'll need a FAT32 drive, or a partition on your external that is FAT32.

And, what capabilities does your audio receiver have... do you want the best audio, good audio, or bare bones audio?

... er, one more thing. Using Ryu77's profiles consumes more time than Ripbot and BD-R.

Give me some time and I'll put together a step by step, from rip to viewing.

5. mtouset

mtouset Member

Drives are formatted in NFTS. I know I can re-partition a portion of a disk when I’m formatting, but I’m not sure how to partition a portion of an already formatted drive in NFTS. My HDTV receiver is an HTS and I have a 5-channel speaker system attached to my computer. I’m sure you’re aware that I don’t have to fool around with the audio when I’m using RiPBot264 or BD-Rebuilder. The audio is already integrated with the Blu-Ray movie. Again, if I have to choose, I would want the audio to be excellent or the best. The time that it takes is irrelevant to me If there is a way to re-partition one of my external drives to FAT32 format, I can try to do this. If I have to choose an audio file or method, then it would have to be the best, but at the risk of showing my ignorance, I'm still not sure why I just couldn't use the audio that is already integrated with the Blu-Ray movie. There must be multiple audio definitions integrated in one or more of these movies. Thank you again for being so prompt. Since you are kind enough to help me out, then you have my full attention. Mtouset

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm off to work soon, after that it's the weekend!!! I should have something for you later tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time, if you feel like partitioning your drive see if you can get a hold of a program called Partition Magic... it works great with XP.

When you play a regular Blu ray in your PC, and select one of the three HD audio codecs (DTS HD-MA, TrueHD, LPCM) is the sound OK, does everything work OK? Also, do you use your PC as your player too, or do you have a PS3 or standalone... for some reason I thought you had a PS3, if not nevermind partitoning your external.

BTW, with Ripbot and BD-R you get the stripped down versions of audio... no HD audio. I think BD-R is working on an option to keep the HD audio though.

When you say HTS, is that an audio receiver... hooked up by what, optical.... RCA (red/white) cables?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. mtouset

mtouset Member

Thanks again for sticking with me. I also have to prepare for work.
    Hopefully I understood you correctly and I don't have to be concerned about an FAT32 partition, since I do not have a PS3. HTS stands for Home Theater System which is a basic audio receiver that brings five speakers with it. I do have an old pure receiver that I no longer use because it doesn't have HDMI capability. My current A/V components are tied together via HDMI. Even my Computer monitor is HD connected to my PC via HDMI cable. To answer another of your questions, I do not select an audio codec when I insert BD movies on my computer...I think that option may be available in the PowerDVD9 configuration module. I use my computer using PowerDVD9 ultra. Just as an FYI. I do have an LCD HDTV, A stand-alone BD player, and my Home Theater System...All HDMI. I hope I answered your questions for now. Thanks for the info on audio regarding RipBot264 and Rebuilder. I believe that if you’re going to be playing BDs you need to have the best audio to go with it. Have a nice day. I look forward to our continuing dialogue. Mtouset

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

OK then, don't worry about partitoning your HDD to FAT32

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Do not rip the whole BD to your computer.

With AnyDVDHD running in the background (Fox icon in the system tray) and your BD in the drive, open MeGUI
    • Tools
    • HD Streams Extractor

1. Select the drive where your BD is as the input
    2. Select a folder (already created by yourself earlier) and select as the output.

It will think for a few seconds (or a minute or two), then list a few “mpls” tracks. The one you will be concerned with is the one with the longest duration… which should be the movie.
    • Click that line once, pay attention to the dialogue in the bottom left… it should say retrieving streams.
    • Once complete a new list of several streams should appear below.

[​IMG]

This is where we will demux… or extract all of the necessary raw streams.
    • Check the 1080p video stream, for VC-1 use VC-1 in the dropdown selector, for h264 use MKV
    • Select your audio, use DTSHD for DTS HD-MA, use THD+AC3 for TrueHD, use PCM for LPCM. These three options are the best if available on your BD. If not just select which ever the codec is… AC3, DTS.
    • Select the chapters if you wish (.txt)
    • Select any subtitles you think you may need (.sup)
    • Press extract… this may take up to 1 hour, on my quad core it takes 30-45min for a 2 hour movie.

I prefer demuxing this way over tsMuxeR because MeGUI uses eac3to to demux, benefits are if you come across a “seamless branching” title - several small m2ts files that make up the main movie - eac3to appends properly by fixing any gaps/overlaps in the audio and video. By not fixing these (which tsMuxeR cannot do) you could run into A/V sync issues. Demuxing with eac3to also removes dialogue normalization on TrueHD (and AC3) tracks, which lowers the volume by up to 30db… we do not want to keep -dialnorm, eac3to removes this.

Once complete you should have a few raw A/V and possibly sub streams.
    • If your movie is a VC-1 movie the raw stream needs to be muxed to .m2ts with tsMuxeR, which is necessary for recoding with MeGUI/AviSynth. If your video is h264 you should have demuxed it earlier to MKV… if not mux it to .m2ts with tsMuxeR.
    • Mux the audio stream only to .m2ts using tsMuxeR, I do this to help calculate AVCHD/BD overhead before recoding… we’ll talk about this later.
    Now we are at the MeGUI recoding stage.
    • Tools
    • AVS Script Creator
    • Select your M2TS or MKV as the video input

A preview window should pop up, close it

• Save, another preview will pop up, close it again.
    • On the main MeGUI window set the “File Format” to RAWAVC, and select your appropriate Ryu77 profile, you should use High Quality Blu-ray, Ultra High will take you forever

[​IMG]

Now we’ll set the bit rate.
    • Tools
    • Bitrate Calculator

If you have no desire to burn to DVD you can set the bit rate to 8000kb/s, your video stream will range from maybe 7-10GB. If you do want to burn to DVD, we’ll talk about that another time… we need to do a few calculations, decide which audio to keep and which format it should be in, which means different processing/demuxing methods.

• In the Bitrate Calculator, select the “Avg Bitrate” radio button, and input 8000, or your desired bitrate.
    • Press “Apply”
    • A diologue window should pop up asing for confirmation… press YES.

Now you’ll be back to the main MeGUI window, everything is now all set up, press the “Enqueue” button. Go to the “Queue” tab, there should be two passes in the “waiting” status, press start button… a new “job” window should appear, this is where the wait begins, possibly 20-30 hours.

Once this is done you need to mux everything together with tsMuxeR to “Blu-ray”.
    • Add your new .264 video stream, your audio stream.
    • Select “Blu-ray” as the output
    • Start Muxing

I’m not sure if PowerDVD Ultra takes the Blu-ray structure as input (BDMV & Certificate folders), if not you can use IMGBurn and make a UDF2.5 ISO image and virtually mount using Slysoft’s virtual drive (d’load for free from the websie). I can help you do this at another time.

Any questions feel free to ask, if you want this guide in a Word Document then PM me.

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  10. mtouset

mtouset Member

I took a real quick look at your guidance last night through blurry eyes and a tired body, so I'll tackle this morning

11. mtouset

mtouset Member

No luck. After I click on "HD/Streams Extractor, selected Drive for sourced and and working director in another drive. Nothing happens at all, let alone your diaghrams

12. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Are you sure you have the latest MeGUI? Check to see if eac3to is part of the MeGUI package. From the main MeGUI screen go OPTIONS, SETTINGS, PROGRAM PATHS, OTHER... at the bottom there should be eac3to, make sure it's pointed at the proper directory. If not you should update...OPTIONS, UPDATE.

If it still will not go, you can always just rip the BD to your PC and demux with eac3to (command line) or tsMuxeR (as a last resort).

13. mtouset

mtouset Member

I believe all settings are correct. I'd show you if I know how to post a print scrn. I can't directly print scrn onto this this reply and I don't have a button to add a file. I simply to to input and try to input the BD movie from my E drive and then I output to J/Working, but no tracks appear at all. ?????

14. mtouset

mtouset Member

By the way, there is no input from MeGui 0.3.1.1023. I only see under, "Vidoe encoding", AviSynth Script, Beige block, and underneath that, I see "Video Output" white block

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Did you check to see if there is a eac3to.exe file in the location MeGUI thinks there is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If all else fails you can demux manually.

17. mtouset

mtouset Member

Yes he eac3 file is there, so how do I demux manually?

18. odin24

odin24 Regular member

First you need to know the exact location of where eac3to is located on your PC, eg.

C:\EAC3TOfolder\eac3to

• Enter the “source”, which is your actual blu-ray in the drive.

C:\EAC3TOfolder\eac3to f:

Press enter. Once analyzed a couple of playlists, indicated by 1), 2), 3), etc, should show, usually the main movie is the first displayed…

[​IMG]

so now… BTW, if you press the arrow key “up” on your keyboard the previous line will reappear, which is pretty handy.

• C:\EAC3TOfolder\eac3to f: 1) press enter

[​IMG]

Now all of the playlist tracks and information will show, they should all be numbered. Here’s where the “up” key comes in handy.

• Press up once… Now well enter all of our desired track that we wish to demux. Here are the typical codecs and how they should be demuxed
    • H264 = .mkv
    • VC-1 = vc1 (need to remux to m2ts with tsMuxeR afterwards)
    • TrueHD = thd+ac3
    • DTS HD-MA = dtshd

When entering the commands after the you need to indicate the track number first, i.e. 1:, then the destination, i.e. c:\videos\destinationfolder . Each track should be enclosed in quotations… after the track number, and at the end of the destination.

C:\EAC3TOfolder\eac3to f: 1) 2: “c:\videos\test\video.mkv” 4: “c:\videos\test\audio.thd+ac3”

Once all of your desired tracks are entered press ENTER and the demuxing process will start… and take approx 45min.

[​IMG]

Once everything is done continue processing, either remux with tsMuxeR or start your MeGUI recoding process.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  19. mtouset

mtouset Member

I guess your meaning of step-by-step is quite different that mine. Nonetheless, I'd like to go back and try to make Megui work. I brought up the software and everything reads as the scrn prnt you incorporated except that doesn't show eac3 any longer. I would like to try and get MeGui going since that was your guidance from the beginning. Deviations are my alternativesk, but they are not exactly easy steps, at least for me. I'll be back to you when I get Megui going as you first instructed. MTouset

20. mtouset

mtouset Member

Odin24
    I executied MeGui and the Eac3 is now the only thing I don't have. I get besplit in the cmd line. I need to know how to get eac3 in that command line. V/r Mtoust