1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by camw, Jul 1, 2009.

1. camw

camw Member

I'm not 100% sure if this topic should go here but anyway...

I recently ordered an Acer Aspire 5515 laptop. It comes with an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2650e (512KB L2 cache, 1.6GHz).

I'd like to replace it with something better, I was thinking a dual-core.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good processor somewhere close to a $50-$70 range?

Thanks in advance.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

If you are thinking of upgrading you should cancel your order and get something else.

1. Laptops are not typically designed for CPU upgrades, and if the CPU IS upgradeable, it's typically within a very tight range.

2. It is an AM2 socket, but that doesn't mean that the machine can electronically accomodate different processors (or even recognize) a different processor unless the manufacturer put the support in the BIOS.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not an all other topics issue.
    camw, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 256x224.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

never buy a laptop or PC with the intention of upgrading it immediately, especially not a laptop. Usually you can't do much with it.

5. tylak

tylak Regular member

upgrading laptops isnt something to look forward to, i did it on mine and was VERY VERY lucky my new cpu worked, as to wanting to upgrading graphics that is even worse/harder just cancel you order and get something else

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Upgrading a CPU is usually doable, but only within the same series, you can't buy a £300 laptop with the cheapest CPU and expect to be able to put the high end quad core in it, it just doesn't work like that and never has.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Not necessarily...some models have a wide range of available processors. If the top-of-the-line chip costs $800 to add to the laptop, but only $400 to buy online and install yourself...then buy the laptop with the cheapest CPU available. The same is true of ram...an upgrade from 2gb to 4GB of cheap ram typicaly costs more from the OEM than buying 4GB of good ram yourself.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cooling, chipset and BIOS limitations make this a very risky strategy. Memory is usually fine to upgrade, but I stand by my point about the processors.