1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional looking Movie Menu

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by soorya, Mar 10, 2004.

1. soorya

soorya Member

Hi friends,
    I have compressed two DVD Movies into my harddisk, which is coming to a size of 4.4gb which can be accomodated in a DVD, if I am just burning it as a data disk. But the main drawback is that I can't make a menu pointing to chapters or movies, if I burn as a data disk.

If I go for Video mode of Nero or Roxio, I can make menus, but even a single movie will take a file size greater than 5 GB.

How can I burn a DVD accomodating these two movies with a professionally looking menu and chapterisation?

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Soorya

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

soorya,

First, the best of luck to you with both and Roxio on your system, when you encounter problems (it WILL happen at some time) remember the person not able to get along with others on the playground is Roxio.

I don't know how you have compressed your movies but if it is with DVD Shrink, running it through a second time will gain you alot of room (going through more that twice pretty much gains nothing :-(

To get your menus use TMPGEnc DVD Author, TMPG DVD Author. You just have to set the default first action for the menu.

Good luck and BTW, Welcome to the Club :D)

Pete

3. soorya

soorya Member

Hi Pete,
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I appreciate your help. My real problem is that: I need to create an interactive menu to play both these movies through my DVD player. In the original menu of these movies, each of them have different menus which can't be used as I copied 2 movies to disk and need a new menu for displaying the chapters of these movies in a single interface.

I can't do anything in video burning mode of Nero as it will again increase the file size even though the file size of movies in harddisk is just 4.1gb. That's y I prefered to burn the dvd in data format rather than video format. Here comes the bottleneck of menu creation.

Am I confusing you?? Or can you please help me solving this problem. Sorry I am new to this field:)
    Thanks in advance
    Soorya

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey soorya,
    When you say "copied 2 movies to disk", what format are they currently in?
    If they are still in VOBs, then DVD-Lab is probably your best option. It has a 30 day trial so plenty of time to play with it to see if its what you want. It'll create menus, chapter points, etc.

If you want menu's, then the DVDs have to be in Video format, not data format.

Re-reading your first post again, I think you need to either recompress your movies (DVD Shrink?) or put them onto two DVDs. 4.4Gb of movies will mostly likely not fit with menus on one DVD.

5. soorya

soorya Member

Hi,
    thank you very much for your suggestion. I used DVD Shrink to recode it...but the program will terminate abruptly after reaching 99%. Then I used DVD recode (it gave 70% compression) to recode the stuff and one movie was shrunk to 2.2GB and hence I thought of putting two movies together and burn into a DVD disk (2 movie will come to a size of 4.4 GB). They are in VOB format.

As mentioned previously, if i burn it in video format, the file size of one movie exceeds 5GB as against 2.2GB file size in hard disk. That's y, i thought of burning as a data file so that it will remain as 2.2 GB and can burn 2 movies to the DVD.

But how can i create menus in this data format? That's where I am stuck. If I go for video format, even one movie cant be accomodated in a single disk.
    Thanks
    Soorya

6. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey Soorya,
    You can't create menus in data format on a DVD as far as I know. (Not something that would work in a standalone DVD player anyway.)

You say "If I go for video format, even one movie cant be accomodated in a single disk", but you also said that you can recode one movie to 2.2Gb. 2.2Gb will fit onto one DVD...I must be missing something here.

As for DVD Shrink not working, maybe try an older version?

7. soorya

soorya Member

Hi Adder,
    Thank you for your quick response.

Let me clarify the confusion "If I go for video format, even one movie cant be accomodated in a single disk"

When I recode the movie (using DVD recode), it has created the DVD VOB files in a folder with total size of 2.2 GB. I am happy with that file size. But when I tried to add that movie VOB files into NERO as DVD Video files, it was showing that file size exceeds 5 GB. This was where I was also stuck up. I was wondering how the files of size totaling to 2.2 GB becomes >5GB when added in DVD Video file section of NERO. So I decided to add these files in the data file area of Nero. As data file, it is showing the size of 2.2GB. Hence I decided to burn it as data files in DVD rather than DVD Video. In this way I can add another movie as a data file and thereby burn a DVD with 2 movies.

Here comes my question of menu creation which helps me to select these movies and chapters from the DVD when inserted in the DVD player.

Hope I have cleared the confusion? Plz help

Thanks
    soorya

8. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Soorya,
    Confusion is just setting in... :) I understand what you are saying but I don't know why it is happening.
    I have not used recode so I'm not sure how well it works, but maybe try a different method. Like rip the entire DVD to hard drive as files using DVD Decrypter, then you could try DVD Shrink again or DVD2One to compress. Then you can try DVD-Lab or TMPGEnc DVD Author to create mennus.
    Hope that works,
    Adder.

9. soorya

soorya Member

Thank you Adder for your suggestions. I feel that DVD recode is doing its job well because, it is bringing down a 7 gb movie to 2.2 GB. I feel that Nero's video mode is creating problem (it's my guess). I am not sure, why the files size is getting expanded in video mode.
    Thanks
    soorya

10. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Then my only suggestion would be to try other burning software...burnatonce is free. www.burnatonce.com

11. soorya

soorya Member

Thank you adder. Let me try that burner:)
    Thank you once again for your support.
    Soorya