1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional vs. amateur

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by twissie90, Oct 17, 2005.

1. twissie90

twissie90 Member

I am a sports photographer. I am thinking of changing my medium to include video. I am confused as to what dvd camcorder I would need. Please, if anyone has any knowledge of what's out there I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

2. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

You've a long time to wait, mobile video recording hardware for the new media formats is far away, far away.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What do you mean Reasons? Don't HD-cams that record to MPEG-4 qualify?

4. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

I thought he was looking for one that records to optical media, like Sony's camcorders that record to min-DVD, that way you can capture hours of video without a hard drive and then swap discs for more.

If he is looking for something that records HD quality video to a drive or memory stick, then yes, he can get that.

And no, mpeg-4 is not HD, H.264, it's bred from Mpeg-4 but is 6 times the quality , is HD. It's also called AVC, the PSP uses it to conserve quality with space, but you started with regular video so when you put to AVC all you save is space (for the psp).

AVC, advanced video codec, H.264 is what you're looking for.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last time I checked AVC was not only apart of MPEG-4 but co-developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group. Its technical name is [bold] ISO/IEC MPEG-4 Part 10[/bold].

6. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

"Its technical name is ISO/IEC MPEG-4 Part 10."

Its? there is more than one it. And what you mentioned ain't one of them, or it, if it is the name, and it as in one it, is the standard. ? :)

The final standard is H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10, or AVC. They're all the same, just different names for the one standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That's what I just said. And Wiki-Pedia is where I get most of my info so there is no need to post a link to that for my sake.

Did you mean to contradict your previous post?

Yes it's official name is "ISO/IEC MPEG-4 [bold]Part 10[/bold]". It is one of many MPEG-4 compliant codecs. AVC was choosen to be the offical MPEG-4 compression codec since it is better than the rest. (the rest being Divx, Xvid, WMV9-HD, ect...).

From Wiki-Pedia:
    Since its debut it has been tweaked and enhanced so that it is able to meet the standards of the american broadcast community.

Ced

8. Reasons?

Reasons? Guest

Read that carefully, with literacy, and not not seeing what you want to see. I'm not even going to explain it to you, I'll just leave you this-

"H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10, is a high compression digital video codec standard written by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the !!*ISO/IEC* Moving Picture Experts Group!! (MPEG) as the product of a collective partnership effort known as the Joint Video Team (JVT)." Look for special characters to direct your attention, it'll hit you like a ton of bricks.

Those first 5 words/numbers are pretty key. The technical name you dreamt up is just the MPE Group's standard, which was combined with IUT's to form, what they now call "H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10...."

I'm not going to argue with you on this, is easy to misconcieve stuff like this, and never concieve it because the sub-concience cannot let it's pride be broken too easily (A little Phych class), I'm unsuscribing to this thread. You can pm me if you see it how it is and want to re-gain some serious dignity by figuring it out.

I've argued points with quite a few people and those that stand out and seem like intielligent people, are the ones that have gone "i see"

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What I'm saying is there is no difference to the consumer. When a person sees Mpeg-4 on something they can rest assured that they are using a product equiped with one of the best encoders available.

What I don't understand is why you began to argue that

No its not, but it can be (right?) As I understand it, AVC is the standard for Digital TV broadcast in the US (it is from DTV in the US that I know what I know about H.264).

Next to Last, I don't understand why you are so addimit about using all the available names for this codec every time you post. I fully understand that it was not MPEG that contributed to the creation of this video compression scheme. I also know that MPEG doen's creat physical product, they create goals. But how many people (outside of the industry) know what H.261 is campared to how many know what MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 is?

Lastly, I don't understand how you misunderstood
    ...to the point that you felt my post waranted an argument. I clearly said HD camcorders. Capturing HD content using MPEG-2 takes up almost twice the space that MPEG-4 does.

Ced