1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program control software?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Nibinaear, May 10, 2011.

1. Nibinaear

Nibinaear Member

I used to use my firewall to block whatever programs suddenly try to access the internet without my consent. It worked really well but these days most firewall software doesn't seem to let you do this.

I'm currently using Comodo IS which just randomly permits internet traffic that it deems is safe.

I was wondering if there are any small progs which can just block / permit apps and work alongside the firewall?

2. SalDawod

SalDawod Guest

I'm using "PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition"
    it's really great and small

I used to use comodo but I faced some problem in it! so I stoped useing it!

3. Nibinaear

Nibinaear Member

Good idea, I'll try it.

4. krad32

krad32 Member

What browser do you use? Their are also some blocking add on in different browser. It will totally help bock unnecessary sites also pop up.

5. Nibinaear

Nibinaear Member

No we're talking firewalls, to block anything on the system from accessing the internet without asking. PC Tools works well.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

All firewalls work the same & will let any deemed safe software thru unless you bothered to read the faq or help file for whatever security ware you use & that goes for any software that will at sometime check itself for updates etc

7. ChikaraNZ

ChikaraNZ Member

I use Comodo Firewall, the free version.
    You can still block specific programs from accessing the net , manually, by using Comodo's Network Security Policy.
    You can allow or disallow individual programs (or can change its type of access, eg disallow normal internet traffic, but allow FTP traffic, originated by the same program)

I use that option in Comodo and it works fine.

8. Nibinaear

Nibinaear Member

Comodo is what I have a problem with. It doesn't catch things going out unless it doesn't know what they are. If it knows based on it's trusted vendors list it will permit the software, this isn't what I need. If you remove things from the trusted vendors (manually one at a time only) it will put them back after the next update, this is poor. It used to work properly but not anymore. I need to have control over what I think should go on the internet. The PCTools suggestion works fine, tested on my work pc and works as expected.