1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program to check DVD backup, is there??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by brock114, Apr 3, 2005.

1. brock114

brock114 Member

Hi all,

I am making a lot of DVD backups as my kids are so hard on the originals.

Without having to watch ALL of these to verify they work all the way through, can I download an app that will make sure for me? (Something that zips through fast like DVDShrink analyze mode)
    I know Nero has "verify written data" but lately I have had backups where all was said to be okay but the movie screwed up near the end.

Any info on this matter would be a time saver...

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey brock114,

If you can't be bothered to check your DVD's upon burn completion visually, then you may wish to try using DVD Decrypter (est. time, 10-15 min/ per disc) OR use CD Checker (est. time 10-11 min/ per disc). Trust me, . . . there is nothing worse in the world, (well, . . yes, there are plenty of things worse) than finding out that for some reason or another, the backup you made don't play. ("Yeeech !")

DVD Decrypter (FREE):

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

CD Check (FREE):

http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

I check each and every disc I make. Once, at the beginning of the disc, to be sure it's starting correctly, 2X during the movie for a second or two to be sure it's playing well and once, at the ending credits to see them scroll. If there is a problem usually anything AFTER the problem won't work. If the credits work, you can be pretty sure the rest is all right. (est. time, 45 sec./per disc).

It took me so long to type the above, ~ I could have checked 1/2 a dozen discs and had time for a cup of coffee and a 7-course dinner in that amount of time . . . . Well, maybe I wouldn't have had time enough for the salad BUT it did take a while . . . :)

Cheers,

Pete

NOTE: THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED AS THE LINK FOR CD CHECK WAS PUT THERE INCORRECTLY. IT IS NOW CORRECT. SORRY FOR THE POST ERROR.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  3. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Pete:
    I have been doing a DVD Shrink Analysis of the burned disks. Is this not reliable? I figured that any serious flaw would result in a Shrink hang up during the analysis.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  4. brock114

brock114 Member

Pete, how do you check the DVD with DVD Decrypter?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Checking on the newest versions possibilites.

So very sorry about no link for CD Check. I have fixed that link and you'll find it is able to find, fix and it can also recover many corrupted files on DVD's.

Check that out :)

Cheers,

Pete

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Oooppps, almost forgot you StanH1000,

When DVD Shrink "Analysis's" a DVD, it is not checking to see if there are any flaws, corrupt files, etc. It is just navigating from start to finish to bring the information toward the program. Something like the "scan" AnyDVD does when it gets the info about your disc, removes the encryption and renders it Region Free. DVD Decrypter differs as it physically brings the entire DVD onboard the PC and places it on your HD. That is why, if you wished to backup 6 DVD's, it would take the shortest amount of time. Once on the HD, the original disc can be put back on the shelf and all other work could be done a week later if desired. Once, I did 9 DVD's in 1 & 1/2 hours. I had 3 burners on my system (I now have 4 :), and with a Pent 4, 2.84 GHz processor and 1024 MB of RAM, I ran all 3 drives using DVDD, taking about 30-minutes a disc and in 3 cycles all 9 DVD's were on my 520GB of HD. Needless to say, with DVDD, X3 working for 1 & 1/2 hours, I let my poor over-worked PC alone to work in peace.

Anyway checking a DVD for errors is better left to vision and to CD Checker.

Cheers,

Pete