1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question program to shrink videos

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kookie56, Aug 23, 2017.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I would like to shrink "MKV" videos.
    I would like to keep the "1920 x 1080" resolution, yet shrink it to smaller size than it is now. Can anyone tell me if there is a program out there that will do this?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What is the problem with the size? I don't know how you would make it smaller without messing up the resolution.

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I want to keep the 1920 x 1080 resolution, but make it smaller, as I keep my shows on a portable hard drive.
    I would like to make them as small as possible (without changing the resolution), so it doesn't take up a lot of space on the portable hard drive.
    There must be a program out there, somewhere, that will do this. Isn't there?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

vidcoder.It allows you to select the size by mb, or you can choose avergae bitrate or constant while keeping res the same. Resolution doesn't determine file size the bitrate does,its why you can get a 1080p video of 1gb. When first installing vidcoder it will have mp4 as default,use the drop down to select mkv container...Before you decide to create these reduced vids,do a test run first. Personally i'd start around 3gb however chances are a 5gb or higher would be better. It'll be a case of try & see. Keep in mind dts & the newer hd audio is quite a large file & normally & can get up to 1.5gb,so if you decide to use passthrough it would pay to increase the size of the video by the same amount. Using ac3 is negligible so no need to increase.
    I use vidcoder all the time so can most probably help if you get stuck,however i don't use constant or average bitrates,since it doesn't give me an idea of final output size. Any question on handbrake is useless as it doesn't let you set final output size like vc. VC is most probably a bit more hands on.

Install mediainfo (is part of klite & is accessed by right cliking on any audio or video) as this will help tell you the size of the individual video & audio streams including info on subtiles in eng & non eng audio parts.Knowing the size of audio stream can let you see if increasing video is required (i normally don't increase vid size if audio under 400mb). The info on subs will help you determine which subs are default or not (only set this if you want subs to appear automatically,if not just leave a tick in the box to the left of sub stream) .Deafult subs come in handy for non eng parts of audio if the audio.However some subs include forced in the eng sub stream,in which case select foreign & set as default otherwise you can use the player to enable subs

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I will download and try. Thanks

6. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I just used it and it worked great. I shrunk a 2.85GB 1920 x 1080 MKV video down to a 1.71GB 1920 x 1080 MKV video and it looks and sounds identical to the original.
    Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
    Whenever I need help with anything, I always come to AfterDawn forum for the answer and I always get the help I need.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Due to the encoding process its not always possible to get exact size,sometimes it will be under & on occasion it will go over.Assuming your source file is 20gb or more.If a file is oversize,you'll need to reduce the output size you selected.Yeah vc is pretty good at what it does i pretty much don't bother with other encoders.I especially like the ability to be hands on.

8. johnebadbak

johnebadbak Member

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Suggest you read before spamming threads.Why is hand brake required when kookie used vc to do the job.Best for you to learn what vc is or more to the point who makes it

10. johnebadbak

johnebadbak Member

better still go to the web site and find out if kookie used VC if he is satisified with the result good i have no idea what vc is either

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

your not making any sense in the first part of your sentence.
    As for vc surely if you had read through this whole topic it would dawn on you it means vidcoder.Vidcoder is made by the makers of handbrake.*rolls eyes*

12. johnebadbak

johnebadbak Member

you have made your point thank you

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

experience shows.

14. pmshah

pmshah Member

I very frequently have to reduce the size of the video without changing the resolution. I have managed to reduce 18 - 20 GB 1080p files down to around 1.5 GB with hardly any noticeable quality loss on 32: LED TV used as PC monitor. The software to use is freeware "Video to Video Converter". Mind you it as yet can't manage x265 video codec.