1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Paint for Use with DLP Projectors

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pbailey, Jul 8, 2007.

1. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Hi, been a member for a few years of the site, but not sure if i'm of member status anymore, haven't been on for an age and my previous email expired.

I've tried the search function but could only find something about paint from 2005, and as far as i know the dlp projectors have changed a fair bit since then, ie the recommended grey over matte white doesn't really apply to the newer projectors anymore because of the increased brightness levels.

I own a Benq w100, a pretty much base entry projector, had it for about 12 months now. RRP at the time was $1500AUD, but i got it for $1200AUD with 6 years warranty with staff discount. I mainly use it for my modded xbox and tv, but do run my pc and or laptop thru it everynow and again for movies, games etc.

Here's the specs on it:

Now, at the moment i have it setup in our lounge room at a distance of 7m from the back wall, and it's creating an image size roughly 5m diagonal in 16:9, at med zoom.

According to the manual it's capable of nearly a 13m throw at a screen size of 7.6m, 16:9 diagonal.

I was a bit sketchy about the quality at just the 7m throw, but glad to report it's still spot on.

Now, obviously i can't get a screen that big without selling my car (and a testicle or two), so i want to go the paint route, but have no idea what kind of paint to use.

I have been up until now using it on a white wall in my Office/Bail's playroom lol, and at my previous place before i moved with my girlfriend it was on a white wall also. Problem at this place being it's projecting onto a dark purplely-blue "feature" wall.
    At night, it's okay, white's are still pretty damn white considering, but it's still not upto scratch.

I need to know if there is a special paint specifically for projectors that gives a sharper image/more reflective, angle specific etc, and also any people's experience with projector paint would be invaluable.

At the mo it's not a huge dillio cause we have our 42" HD LCD in the lounge room, but i'm a size whore, and miss the footy and gaming at vertigo inspiring sizes.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for the long winded post.

Cheers, Bails.

EDIT

I've also been looking at Screen Goo, but get confused on the 1.2,1.4 etc gain ratings, any idea what would be suitable taking into account my contrast ratio and ansi brightness levels?

Seeing as it's not a top level projector i would prolly be happy with a good paint/paint mix, seeing as the screen goo will end up costing me more than the projector itself, and all the info i've found it's done by professionals.. Does look good tho, but is it worth it over a good household paint? Lots of questions lol. Anyway, i'm off to get some drinks, days off bore me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  2. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

I Would checkout the AVS Forums for a good Paint solution. I am using a 54 by 96 inch piece of Blackout Cloth I got from a fabric store. It cost me about 17 Us Dollars and gives me a 110 inch 16:9 screen. I just stretched the BOC over a wooden frame I made and put black felt border 2 inches wide around the edges of the screen.

3. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Heh, well there you go, thanks a heap for the reply mate. Never heard of this, absolutely brilliant idea. Been checking the forums around the place regarding this, and seems to be tops.

Back to work tomorrow, so looks like it will be a weekend project for sure, when i eventually get it done i'll post pics.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your setup mate?

Cheers again.

4. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Thought i would take a pic of the projected image in my "office" to give an indication of the quality on a white painted wall surface, that's with no touching up of the pic brightness levels etc. Obviously, seeing as it's so dark, pretty hard to photograph projectors lol.

On the left of the pic is my girlfriend, to give an indication of size, projector is about 2.5 metres from the wall.

Click it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is one at an angle so you can see it next to the pc, if it looks a little different it's cause the background i use in unleash x (modded xbox) is animated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this will work, can't get pics to display in my signature..

Peaceness.

EDIT

Bloody hell, can someone tell me how to make it display the image, that's the actual link photobucket gives you to paste into forums, all other forums i'm on accept them.

Oh well, click it and it will show it, would still like to know how to sow a direct image if anyone can enlighten me cheers, img tags don't seem to work.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. chaopiao

chaopiao Guest

***spam removed by creaky***

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  6. Playr

Playr Regular member

Bye-Bye spammer.

7. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

What the ***removed***? Some spam ass ***removed*** is able to polute my shiznit with pics of ***removed***, yet i can't even get up pics of topic relevance?

Boooo!

Oh and chaochong whatever, you coulda picked a better thread to post that crap in, noone replies to this, let alone looks at it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

spam removed, however profanities aren't welcome on the public forums either...

9. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

No worries, i apologise.

Man these boards really died in the arse tho eh?

Peace out.