1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed limitation on "Newbie" posts...

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by drchips, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

which one of you mods knows where he is: (its always a loss when a fountain of knowledge departs) maybe you can persuade him to return , failing that maybe you would pass this message on to him for me.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

andmerr 8th june 2004

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, I disagree with drchips original suggestion.
    Newbies are the ones with all the questions! If a question is too dumb or vague, or posted in wrong section, it gets ignored.
    I don't miss drchips, he was very rude to me. He uses a distinct over-abundance of words and his flowery prose drips with unwarranted superiority.
    Well I didn't say it...
    brian100, don't say this. You are mistaking a lack of conciseness for having skill with words.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

OGS, the open type format of this forum allows for debate and disagreement between ALL members if done properly. Almost any subject can be posted or question asked as long as its legal. My original post to this thread was actually negative towards DrChips suggestion. However, because I disagreed with him doesn't give me the right to try and cut him down in any way.
    As to your statement about NEWBIE posts being ignored for being too dumb,vague or posted in the wrong place. Thats totally false for the majority of members on here. Most members will go the extra yard to help Newbies with problems no matter how small or simple they are. I always look for these type posts first and when giving answers I try to keep the answer simple and easy to understand also. Not too many other forums give you the freedom this one does and members like DrChips become the backbone of the forum over time.
    Whatever problem you have with him I'm sure nothing I say will change your mind but it would have been to your benefit to have sent him a PM and try to straighten out any problems and then you would have received some of the best help possible from this site.

Jerry

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Guys and Gals,

I ain't dead (to the chagrin of some, I suspect !LOL!).

I have been away working on a project that has now completed its current phase.

Due to the nature of the working conditions I was denied the ability to post (though I have been able to lurk).

To echo one of Dela's statements:
    Blood on the ground.
    Bodies strewn about..
    Moaning and groaning in the background...

Looks like I missed a bit of fun ;-o

To all those who expressed concern over my apparent emulation of "Lord Lucan", I thank you.

To those who took the diametrically opposite stance, I present to you a BIG GRIN and a WINK. !LOL!

[bold]Praetor:[/bold]
    I will be a good boy, promise :)
    Nobody will get "bitch-slapped" (unless of course they are really pushing for it - Ooooh no.. must be good... must control myself... no bloodletting... )

To those who don't know me yet, Hiya...

I'M BAAAACK.

Have Fun...

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Great to see ya back, doc :)

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey drchips (Senior Member) how was the vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(atleast when oriphus departs he gives us plenty of warning so we can always be prepared)

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya andmerr,

I would have let everyone know but I was not aware of the security restrictions on the job until I got there!!

Have Fun...

8. siber

siber Regular member

This has grown into a very long and passionate thread.

What is the improvement you expect when you restrict Newbies from starting 'advanced' threads? Will it make the forum more interesting for the majority of AD members/visitors? Will it make life easier for moderators? Will it be possible to find your way around the forum a lot quicker? Are things right now really that bad? I don't know...

Lots of people just wander into this forum and end up either moving on or occasionally learn the ropes and end up contributing a lot of good advice. Often it is the 'junior members' who don't mind answering questions that other more experienced members are tired of answering over and over...

AD has to make sure not to discourage that. If the rules are changed as discussed/proposed, it would be important to monitor for possible decline in the number of junior members...

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I've thought about this a lot, both before this thread started and since, and I don't agree with it for 2 reasons.

1. There are too many exceptions to the rule that forum newbie = actual newbie. I was lurking (but registered) here for several months before I ever posted a question and there are a lot of people who know more than I did then when they get here. Sure posts could always be moved to the advanced forum, but I think there's already plenty of work for the mods now. Especially since the more users we attract the more "real" problem threads we get. I'd rather make sure the mods have as much time as possible for things like piracy related questions that could pose a significant threat to the site's continued existence. One of these days though I'm going to find out how to make money fast before Praetor deletes the post. 8D

2. It doesn't fit the general atmosphere here. The way I see it there are 2 reasons the membership has grown so quickly in the last several months. The obvious reason is that there are a lot more DVD burners sold. That's a valid point, but it doesn't tell the whole story. There are lots of DVD backup sites out there. There must be something about Afterdawn in particular that makes a difference.

I think that something is the laid back atmosphere and very relaxed rules. If it isn't illegal or otherwise completely inapropriate (ie spam) it's probably fair game for discussion in one of the forums. The admins obviously prefer that we police ourselves for the most part, and I like to think we usually live up to their expectations. The posters here tend to be mature enough to understand that, and I've seen many a Junior Member or Newbie helping out by making it clear that a question isn't allowed. If we can trust newbies to do their part on that front (and apparently we can) I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding what forum their question gets posted to.

10. brian100

brian100 Guest

Welcome back Drchips, Let the fun begin :)

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey verbual, you being taking tips from drchips on lengthy posts

(oh by the way off topic: that program hyper snap dx i'm having a couple of issues with it you reckon you can give me some pointers)

12. vurbal

You know how long my guides are 8D

Unfortunately I don't know how much I can help with your screen capture software. I use GIMP to do mine.

Edit: More to the point, I was a blowhard before I ever heard of drchips. You don't want to see what it would look like if I got worse ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey Doc, Welcome back. Glad to see you didn't just ride off into the sunset( Like in one of Old Scuba Pete's tales). Good to see you're still with us.

Jerry

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

verbal isnt gimp the mac equivalent, anyway got help turned out if i read the manual i would of noticed that certain functions needed to be turned on

15. vurbal

GIMP is actually a GNU program (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which I started using on FreeBSD (so there should be an OSX port anyway), but I'm using the Windows version right now. I don't do anything fancy with it - just capture windows and crop/resize them.

16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks anyway, at least now i'm not getting just black screens

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Verbal, I didn't know there was Windows version of GIMP. I have been using the RedHat Linux one since 2001, with the updates of course. Very good program and kills Photoshop any day.

DrChips glad to see you weren't feed up and ran for the hills.

Back to the topic of the thread, I agree with what verbal mentioned. Also with restrictions I think there might be more problems. As now if a newbie doesn't get an answer they post the same question in multiple areas. With a ristriction, I could see this occuring more frequently. And not as being a newbie (ie could be a member or juniour member) get ticked off that no one answers a newbie type question and goes ramped. But that is the dreaded slipery slop arguement that I hate. :)

18. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

I object to the proposal mainly because I have a very slow connection. I can do a search but seldom find exactly my problem.The reason for that might be that everyone has a different configuration on their system.

The other option of sitting down and trying to read each and every one of the thousand of posts that I think MIGHT pertain to a problem I have is just not feasable.

19. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

True but in the case of the sticky threads, at least take the time to skim through the first page or two (not neccesarily you, just people in general).... heck, half the time the question was already answered on page one.

20. vurbal

That's what I find frustrating. When somebody posts a question that's already been asked and answered and can be found by just reading thread titles on the first page of the same forum - somtimes in the first or second post below the stickies. That has nothing to do with being a newbie or anything else besides laziness and disrespect, and it's certainly not just newbies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.