1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposed limitation on "Newbie" posts...

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by drchips, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plantpot

plantpot Guest

Hi all back to you, how about making us wear a big bell around our necks,and only speaking when we're spoken to.
    I dont have a problem being a newbie,but it only means new to afterdawn not the planet.

I think your sniffing what you should be spraying under ya arms.

:)

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Precisely

3. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Why is it any more frustrating then reading posts of the old timers on here who post endless posts on endless threads for no other reason than that they seem to enjoy reading their own posts? :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  4. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

This debate between the alcolytes and the High Seraphim reminds me of the latter days of the venerable BBS called "The Well" which existed in the rarefied atmosphere of Marin County California USA. It was considered by the members to be the oldest BBS with the highest educated and wisest computer experts in the world. They did not wish to share their knowledge but keep it clost to their vest lest the great unwashed peasants enter their inner sanctum and digital playground. The interface for communicating was UNIX! Yes the text base command interface that the scientific community used, before graphic interfaces like Windows were invented.

Being naive I signed up for the well as I wished to enter this digital paradise and learn at the feet of the mighty. I paid my 60.00 but I was unable to log into the board not having any knowledge of computers or unix commands. Now it would have taken make 6-10 Unix commands (out of the hundreds of aracane text command)to be able to operate in the Well environment. I asked for help but the administrators denied it saying that it was not their business to help people log on to their BBS. So I canceled and stopped payment on my check to the Well, which perturbed the Aristocracy of the Well to no end. :)

The last I heard years ago was the The Well was going to install some type of graphic interface. A disgruntled faction of the Archangels of The Well split off outraged that ordinary people might now invade their (in their eyes) their private domain. I can see them now in my memory a bunch of aging nerds, with long grey beards and ponytails down to their waist off in some dark room in Marin county grousing to each other still using unix as an interface complaining about the newbies who ruined the Well BBS.

5. Praetor

It isnt more frustrating. Believe me I'd be the first to ban a few -- it's probably much less agravating though -- those people who have been around for a long time know that with those posts they are just babbling crap anyways and continue to do so so I think perhaps a "Senior/Addict Post Limitation" might be in order?

6. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why is it any more frustrating then reading posts of the old timers on here who post endless posts on endless threads for no other reason than that they seem to enjoy reading their own posts? :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No No don't do that! Just a few more posts and I'll qualify for the babbling senior addict status! :)

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As Praetor said, it's not necessarily more frustrating, particularly when those posts are in the middle of an otherwise useful thread instead of in the Safety Valve forum. I also don't think the comparison in your other post is accurate either. As a matter of fact the reason many people come here is that they don't automatically get talked down to because they don't know what they're doing. I've run into a couple of people in the real world (I was buying blank DVDs and they were trying to figure out which ones to buy at the same time) who clearly needed help and referred them here for exactly that reason. For me personally, I find it much more rewarding to help out someone who knows nothing (or next to nothing) because that's where the challenge is.

However, regardless of how much time you've spent here or how many posts you've made, when the question you're posting is already right in front of you and you post it anyway, I take that as a sign you're not willing to put in even the smallest effort to help yourself. If it's not worth your time and effort to help yourself, why should it be worth mine to help you? Is my time and effort less valuable than yours? I'm not speaking about you personally of course, but about people in general. There may not be such a thing as a stupid question, but there are lazy ones, and anyone who can't be bothered to think for themselves shouldn't expect me to do it for them. Ignorance I can help with (hopefully), but willful ignorance is beyond my abilities.

Edit: In case nobody's mentioned it yet, welcome to the forums.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

8. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

Don’t mind a splash, may get to where I need to be faster.

Thank you for the helpful information

Where are the latest Rules Posted? 10/31/04

If I'm in dodo I like to know why,

Arnold2

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

this thread has been going for awhile (since 30th march when drchips first brought it to the attention of the forum members) .Its now july and although a lot of people have expressed there views with gusto, have we actually accomplished anything? Is there a result?
    Whats the next step? or are we just going to keep going around in circles.

Vurbal puts it very nicely::I find it much more rewarding to help out someone who knows nothing (or next to nothing) because that's where the challenge is.

In essence we are are here because people want help and even though there are a few lazy ones maybe we just tolerate them a bit more and see if we can change there attitude on how they get the answers to there questions.That i guess is the challenge(re educate them on how to use the tools at there disposal with out babying them)

10. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

A real big Thanks for put'n up with us. some of us have no other way to learn.

11. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Now this seems a bit of smug self righteous attitude. I hear this over and over along with the post that this has been discussed enough disregarding the fact that there will be new members needing to discuss things further.

Even Albert Eienstein had days when the "answer was right in front of him" and couldnt find it.
    Sometimes the "answer" needs to be reworded in a way that people that are unfamiliar with the subject can understand it. Or perhaps the search functions need to be updated, or perhaps the new uswer has a new work-around or a variation on the problem which is not addressed by the "answer just in front of you"

12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Take it as whatever you want. If the second thread from the top, titled How Do I Convert PAL to NTSC, has a lengthy discussion and at least one set of step by step instructions, and someone posts a new message titled PAL to NTSC with the message just reading something along the lines of "How do I do it?" (this is a real example), it's completely reasonable to conclude that the poster didn't read through the existing post or do a search. Most people get lost the first, second, and probably third (or more) times they attempt to follow a guide, but if your post indicates that you want to start from scratch and the "start from scratch" information is right in front of them, there's nothing smug or self righteous about saying so. If you've read a guide and it's completely beyond your understanding, that's what you should be posting, and that won't get you a condescending answer. It will more than likely get you a list of links to more guides or posts with more information and, if you asked a more specific question, some more specific answers.

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

read underneath

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2004
  14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

well i guess babying isnt the right word and even when i first started using this forum to get the answers that i required yes i just posted without really doing the search.This infuriated some of the mods who set me straight and over time yes even i have changed the way that i get my answers.The rules and regs are right in front of you ,and any intelligent person would think that before they actually did post a question that they would find out more about the ways things were done properly on this forum.The mods do have a valid point and as they do this voluntary maybe making it easier for them will make it easier for the newbies/junior members/members etc etc etc to have a more enjoyable time on this site and ultimately get the questions answered

@ arnord 2 iwasnt having ago at anyone in particular,just generally.My apologies if you were offended.

15. Praetor

Not just that ... if you've got a problem with the rules and regs -- and that's perfectly ok -- then DONT AGREE TO THEM! Heehee

So many people come and complain about rules ... rules they agreed to.

16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

nice praetor they do dont they.

andmerr

17. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

hi andmerr,

I just wanted to show some support and admiration for all the people who keep this site as nice as it is...
    Beat place on the web as far as I am concerned.
    They have helped me out of some pretty tight spots and never had to directly tell me.

I read the post check the answers and SEARCH!!

There has got to be some long hours keeping this site as good as it is.
    Have not been anywhere I can feel more welcome.
    I am not a smart person but I do have some command sense...
    I can not understand anyone complaining about anything to do with Afterdawn Forum!
    I mean no offence and take none.. arnold2

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ praetor, so in answer to my question has much changed since DRCHIPS posted this fantastic thread.

19. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

I can find my way around faster now, answers to questions faster. Not a lot of bull -- to wade through before you find what you are looking for. Is that what you wanted to know?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  20. mark21

mark21 Member

ok i admit i dont know much about all of this stuff but thats just why i joined this site because i thought it was a buch of guys with the same interests just helpin each other out through some problems. Sure im sure ive asked my fair share of dumb questionsin fact im sure i have but haven't we all?? I think some of these senior member forget that they were newbies once too and some one helped them with their questions why not us. Dont get me wrong some have been real helpful but some needti get off their high horse. oh well thats what i got to say if anyone likes it or not
    mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.