1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proshow Gold clitch

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by robcarl, Jul 2, 2005.

1. robcarl

robcarl Member

Hello,

Can anyone help me please?

I've created a 12 chapter slideshow with Proshow Gold V2.5 which contains 439 slides & 13 songs. It runs pefectly in the software on my PC.
    However I can't get it to write to a DVD. I've tried making it ISO and brought it to Nero, didn't work. I've used the encoder/burner in Proshow Gold, but the DVD is unplayable in my PC or DVD player.
    It takes many hours to create the menus and to render it, and the result is nothing but another scrapped DVD.

I've done this successfuly with Memories on DVD and other softwares, and this is the first time I try Proshow Gold. I like the transition effects etc, and I've spent days making the slide show. How can I save my work to DVD?

ThanX in advance,
    Carol

2. PeterKang

PeterKang Member

Hi.
    There doesn't seem to be a flood of responses to your problem, and the problem I had with with ProShow Gold was that the slideshow kept 'freezing' and then would play again but sometimes jerkily.

This was with only 75 slides and one MP3 soundtrack.
    So yours, with over 430 slides and 13 songs has me beat how it even plays at all in software.

From the camera group I'm in, I was told two important things.
    1) Keep the presentaion to no more than 80 slides.
    2) Reduce the resolution of all slides to no more than 72 dpi.

The photos I was using were very large in size and resolution.
    After I reduced them all ProShow worked OK.
    However, using other software like Memories On Tv I never had these problem in the first place.
    I just think ProShow has it's limitations.

If you want to continue using it, I'd suggest first saving the file to your HD, then you won't lose it all, just the annoying factor of the rendering time.

Maybe try other software, like Memories On TV. I now prefer it to ProShow.
    Regards
    Peter

3. robcarl

robcarl Member

thanx for your response, peterkang.
    I have used memories on tv software and used over 700 slides and many mp3s on one show, but the rendering was about 16 hours and I was fed up with that, that's why I switched to Proshow.
    I've been successful rendering chapters of 40-70 slides with up to 3 mp3s, then burning all the chapters together on one DVD. Each individual rendering takes from 15 minutes to an hour or longer depending on how many slides (and how many effects), and the final rendering with the menu and chapters etc. takes about 2 hours.
    My greatest concern now is that the DVD slideshow looks better on TV than on PC monitor which should be the opposite. Perhaps it's a resolution problem. I am searching for the solution to that one now.
    Carol

4. andress

andress Member

My Proshow Gold slideshows look awefull in the PC. If I watch them fullscreen, they are really ugly. The captions are even impossible to read. I´m using the best possible quality. They look good on TV. Just don´t know what else to try. I´m having a horrible time with this issue. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I´ll appreciate it a lot.

5. georud

georud Member

I have created slide shows consisting of over 400 pictures and 20 songs with ProShow Gold, and burned them to DVD. This is a dumb question, but is your DVD burner supported by ProShow? At first, mine was not, so I purchased and installed one that was. It's still time consuming to render, but the end result is fine. If your burner is on their compatible list, AND you've shut down your anti-virus software during the rendering and burning process, then I can't help you. Sorry.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The recommended MINIMUM specs for Proshow are :-

Recommended System Requirements: Pentium 4 processor or compatible. 512 MB memory. Accelerated AGP graphics card. Windows XP or 2000. DVD+/- R drive. 55 MB free hard drive space for installation, additional space for show data. DirectX 9 or higher. Available USB port. [bold]Note: Processor speed, amount of RAM and video card speed will affect performance of show creation and playback.[/bold]

The Graphic Card you are using is quite relevant to the performance you will get with this software -- Manipulating video effects transistions, embedding avi files, and inserting audio components will create a heavy load on your Processor !--

You must close all other background applications when rendering and burning to DVD !

If you are looking for better results you may look at Adobe --- Ulead who have more expensive software for professionnal use !

I am using Proshow Gold and MemoriesOnTv for short presentation .. (( approx 100 or so jpegs... one continuous voice comments sound track and less then 5 avi.. !)) It renders perfectly on a Radeon X850XT PLATINUM EDITION 256MB AGP with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ -- This Processor is an excellent choice for Multimedia Processing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  7. voodoo29

voodoo29 Guest

Perhaps the length of your show is longer than what can fit on a DVD?

8. robcarl

robcarl Member

The show fits on the DVD just fine. I put about 400 slides in different chapters on one disc. with music and transitioning effect. What upsets me is that unless Iplay it in Photodex player it's not sharp on my PC. Like I play it in Power DVD and even the text is blurry!
    Memories on TV is very nasty software. I had to recreate an entire 300 slide disc. because the one I created with Memories sounded like cartoons had taken it over in most players.
    I will look in the Adobe Ulead software. Thanks. Carol

9. voodoo29

voodoo29 Guest

Momento works great with hundreds of pictures - however, no chapter settings.

How long, in minutes, is your project? It could be that the dvd quality has to be lowered in order to fit your whole movie on the dvd.

10. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

Hi All, I use Proshow and have shows with upwards of 400 photos (a lot in the 700kb size) and have combined this show with several other shows on one DVD, no problem. I'm not sure why mine works and others don't.

The reason I write, is to ask about these chapters you are talking about and to see what others think of the new offering for professionals. What are you referring to with chapters?

jeff

11. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

Hi All, I use Proshow and have shows with upwards of 400 photos (a lot in the 700kb size) and have combined this show with several other shows on one DVD, no problem. I'm not sure why mine works and others don't.

The reason I write, is to ask about these chapters you are talking about and to see what others think of the new offering for professionals. What are you referring to with chapters?

jeff

12. robcarl

robcarl Member

Jeff,
    Like chapters in a book, my photo slideshow DVD is divided into chapters with a different thumbnail and title for each, and when you click on the thumbnail it plays that segment of the disc. Example: Nina's Wedding can be one chapter, Bob's BBQ another chapter, Lisa's 10th Birthday, etc...

Right now I'm creating one with 13 chapters (355 slides) and for some reason it's not playing in my living room DVD player. I've tossed half a dozen DVDs trying to find the problem, and I'm still on it today. Could be a glitch in one of my chapters, could be some kind of incompatiblity???? It's never happened before so it's quite trying !!!!!

13. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the reply. Have you used the help at photodex? I have used them and they may have suggestions which might help. Are all songs MP3 format and the photos jpeg? Have you sounds with any slides?

I think there are several glitches in the program yet to be worked out. I have a show that plays perfect on the computer but one song becomes unintelligible on a DVD.

I think I have used chapters as well if I understand correctly. Is a chapter in essence a complete show on its own?

jeff

14. robcarl

robcarl Member

A DVD slideshow usually consists of several groups (chapters) of slides and photos (anywhere from 10 to 30 or even 100 slides per group). Each group has one, two or three MP3s depending on the length. The menu has a background of your choice photo and MP3, a main show title plus a thumbnail and title for each group. It's a very long process, but at the end of it all the DVD is quite a a gem to treasure and share with friends and family. MUCH better than digging through the shoebox or dusting old photo albums to see your souvenirs. By the way, I provide this service to the public at a cost. I don't only do digital photos. I also scan old photos which makes a special addition to any slideshow.
    As for my most recent burning problem. It could be the Photodex software is not perfected. I might try other softwares, one person recommended here. I managed to solve the problem by creating an ISO file of my slideshow and burning it in Nero.
    When it has to be done one always finds a way!
    Thanks for your interest.
    Carol

15. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

Carol, have you had time to look at photodex professional slide show program? It looks pricey but I like some of the new features. I also like the fact you can do a show and no one knows the program you are using.

Glad you worked out the problem. Is it possible to see any of your shows?

jeff

16. robcarl

robcarl Member

I would have to send you a sample show by high speed email perhaps, however the file will be huge even with just a few slides, and you'd have to install the photodex player. If I send you a file that plays in your regular media player it will be fuzzy and you won't appreciate how it would look on your TV. If you're interested because you might want me to make a show for you, get back to me.

As for the professional Proshow...I have looked at it, but it doesn't have many extra features that interest me, and I don't care to hide the software name. I put my own company name in the intro and in the end credits for each show along with other courtesy and copyright information.

17. joosthi

joosthi Guest

I am trying to put all my pictures from my summer holiday on a show with Proshow gold. I have done so the last few years and the result is great. This year after 25 slides into the 10th minute and 4th song the sound stops to play. I converted the MP3 file to a wave file (from 6 MB to 50MB) but it stopped at the same place. This spot is actually a videofile but not the first in the show.

I have lots of memory, hard disk space and very powerfull processor.

Has anybody any suggestions, I am blocked.

Thanks

Joost

18. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

Hi, I think your problem is probably with Proshow. I have had some similar quirks. I had a song that played for ages OK then got totally corrupted after a year so you couldn't understand it. It plays fine outside proshow just fine.

You could possibly download the same file from another source and try that for a quick resolution.

Have you tried the help line?

jeff

19. joosthi

joosthi Guest

I dropped a line to the help line but as I am working on it this night (Brussels, Belgium) I hoped finding a solution on the internet.

In the mean time I inversed two songs and then both played up to the end. When I put them back, the second one stopped again.

I now cut my show in two. Not pretty but maybe I can fusion them later.

I did not download another version of the song because even when converted to a .wav file he stopped at (the same ?+/-?) spot and you cannot get much more different.

Thanks for helping,

Joost

20. robcarl

robcarl Member

It's happened to me. I solved the interrupted music by rebooting, then deleting and replacing the video file where the music stops.

If you have a very large show you ought to reboot after each rendering anyway.