1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protect from formating an external HDD.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by osric90, May 9, 2011.

1. osric90

osric90 Member

Hello,

I'm clumsy as hell so I'm very dangerous.
    Last night I was trying to format one partition of my hard drive and finished formating an external portable HDD I had with four important videos (my short films). I hope I can get them back from some people but I would LOVE to have some kind of protection for the HDD that doesn't allow me to format that specific hard drive. Is this possible? Something like, "you cannot format this unit" but "you can write and delete files from it" but not format. Please help!

Oscar

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

links below should get data back they are free so don't pay money as for the drive protection i can't help & i see no reason for the need,the name & drive letter of that drive should've been known or you just disconnect drive before attempting any partition manipulation also any usb drive will be the last one listed & partitions are listed horizontally not vertically,if data recovery is unsuccessful you can use partition recovery only as a last resort,the software you used should have that option or the links below can

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/
    http://www.easeus.com/download.htm
    recuva
    photorec

3. osric90

osric90 Member

If it's paid I don't mind I would try to buy... but what I'm looking for is somekind of stuff that doesn't allow the HDD to be formated, by me or anyone who tries to format it as it is invaluable. Thanks!

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Only thing i can think of is create a limited user account & pass word the admin account,also 1 drive for anything important is not enough there should be a 2nd drive & even a 3rd stashed away,hdd's can fail at anytime then wrongly formatting will be the least of your worries,basicly any patitioning software including comp management can format a drive there's not much you can do except have backups.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect the external when not using it.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member