1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS CS4? Or Me?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Sental, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Sental

Sental Member

I recently purchase a new HP PAvilion DV6500.
    I installed Photoshop CS4
    while using the program, i noticed that when i selected the brush tool (black, AIRBRUSH setting enabled) that instead of seeing smooth edges, i noticed rings. no graident look, i could see each shade!!

BRUSH: [​IMG]

i kept on working tho, then i used the blur filter and it produced an even nastier effect, makin the shades between colors more visible.. and loosing all the feathered/graidentness (if thats a word, lol)

I NOTCIED WHEN: [​IMG]

i decided, it may be my gfx card, so i updated it. still to no avial. i then went in and changed the defualt settings to:

NVIDA: [​IMG]

adjusting the gamma/contrast/brightness i was able to remove the "ring" effect, (not completely, but mostly)

but does that really solve the problem? being a designer, i need to know that what appears on my monitor will appear the same (within reason) anywhere else!

can anyone offer any help? should i install CS3, which i normally used on my other pc, and verify its actually the pc vs. the program?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I use CS4 and it works great...... can't tell you what's happening in your computer and why you are having troubles. but here is a link to some great podcasts, for free, and it works with CS4:

http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/PFDP.php
    look though his lessons and see if you can find something that will show you what to adjust to make the problem go away! It just may be something very simple.

3. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

This is why i don't upgrade to cs3 cs2 or even cs4.

Adobe is getting sloppy.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

and there you go again susieqbbb. Do you naturally say things to piss people off? Nice..... now you're blaming Adobe! LOL good show..... blame everything else other than the real problem!

5. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

No.

I didn't blame them.

I said they where getting sloppy look at how much more complex every year photoshop gets new features that open up security problems and updates that fix them.

And look at a lot of your favorite plugin's for photoshop most of them are heading to apples aperture.

I didn't blame them for the faults with there software there just getting sloppy with making things easier to use which is driving people to other programs.

6. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

I upgraded to CS3 a while back and I like it much better than previous versions. Certainly not "sloppy". I havn't used CS4 yet, but I can't see it being any worse than previous versions.

As for your problem Sental, I have no idea why you're getting those rings, as I havn't used CS4 yet.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

8. Direxion

Direxion Member

[​IMG]

Hi

being a designer myself, i encountered this before way back in cs2..
    it turned out to be fixable by two options.

1st - Your graphics card (model not shown on your nVidia panel) might not be meeting the recommendations set out by Adobe... i know that CS4 requires more from ay machine than CS3 for example.

2nd - you may need to re-calibrate using a third party calibration kit, ie. Spyder

the 2nd one fixed it for me a while back, so hopefully that might have shed some light on your problem.

hope i've helped :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009