1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 The Guy Game Swap Magic Fix Guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Dec 29, 2004.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The first thing you need are these tools:

DVD Decrypter to build your image file,and could be used to burn your image after you finish.The direct link to get DvdDecrypter is here http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download .

Winhex 11.5 was the version I used.I am sure you can use any other WinHex program though direct link to get WinHex is here http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/index-m.html .

Alright to begin first you need to plug the game into Dvd Decrypter.Tell Dvd Decrypter to read the game and save the image on your desktop,it should be at the top where it says Mode then click on browse and Name your image that you want to save and then click Decrypt.The actual image size should be 7.55Gig in size.

Now to begin you must have Winhex this is where we will start downsizing the game to fit on a 4.7Gig Dvd so Swap Magic will pick it up.

Open up Winhex and at the top of Winhex click on File and scroll down to where it says Open.You will have to find your image you just created with Dvd Decrypter which was 7.55Gig and click on it and press Open once again.It should now desplay alot of code alot of numbers and letters ignore this,we won't be using this at all.

Now go to where it says File Manager at the top right in Winhex.Scroll down to where it says Split and click on it.Name it something like The Guy Game and press Save.It will bring up a prompt that says Desired File Size and below that a Box and then right beside that it has a scroll box that has this listed in it Bytes,KB,MB,and GB.You should type in 4.3 in the clear white box and then to the right of that on the scroll box select GB.It will now create the game at 4.3GB which is safe for Swap Magic.It will also prompt to save another file,but you can pretty much name it whatever you want as long as it doesn't interfere with the downsized Iso file,which means name it something else like Blah or Weee whatever floats yah boat doesn't really matter since you won't use the little file anyways.

Finally it is fixed and you can burn The Guy Game to work with Swap Magic.Just use Dvd Decrypter or whatever program you are used to.If the program you are used to pops up and says invalid file,you can change the file to .ISO and have it burn.I hope this helps out people that are trying to burn this game.I was reading up on SwapMagicFix.com there guide for this game,and this is alot different works like a charm.I hope this helps alot of peeps out and cool beans.I know this is a old game,but I wasn't sure if anybody had got this game to work or not.If anybody needs any help I am here to help out.

Peace L-Burna

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I was so happy when I found your thread. This has been puzzling me for days. Its such a hard game to come by, and I was so pissed when I couldn't make a successful copy. So just in case I made an image. The problem is I made a .nrg image in nero. I winhexed it, burned it, and it didn't work. My dvd rom didn't even recognize it. Will converting it to an .iso fix this problem? What program can I use to do it with? I tried magicISO but it has restrictions on the trial version. Thanks for the help.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I used DvdDecrypter you could give this a try and see if this works for you or like you said try .iso format.I used a .ISO file when I opened it up in WinHex.Glad to help out man if it doesn't work I will see if I can come up with a better solution alright.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

my problem is that I can't make an orignal iso from the disc, I'mn hoping that converting the .nrg image to .iso image will make it work. I'm just trying to find a free program that will do that.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You could try this one software out called ISOpen the link to download it is http://www.softcities.com/ISOpen/transfer/13610.htm .I hope this helps you out this program says it can convert all images to .ISO format.Hope this helps you out on converting it to .ISO format.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well I'm annoyed and confused. I used MagicISO, and when I opened the original nrg image file, and clicked convert to ISO, it must have realized that there's a bunch of nothing in there, cause the exported ISO file was 4.5 gigs. so I went ahead and burned that, and it still won't work with the swap discs. I can't beleive that the difference between an iso and nrg image file is enough to not be able to split it like you said. This is so frustrating, I'm about ready to give up. Thanks for your help...any other suggestions?

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think I know what your problem is man your image size is 4.5Gig.If you could open it back up in WinHex and try to split it again you might be able to get it to fit for Swap Magic.I think if you go back and resize the image you still have a chance of getting it to work.My total size was this:

4.29GB
    4,508,876KB

Hopefully you will be able to downsize it so it can work with Swap Magic.The reason it isn't booting for you is because it exceeds the Swap Magic limit.I hope this fixes the problem,but if it doesn't I will see what I can do alright.

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay, I re-split that file, at 4.29 GB, and it came out 1KB larger than yours. But when I go to mount the image in Daemon's Iso Mounter, to make sure it works, windows can't read the format. Since I'm splitting am nrg image file, am I right in assuming I name the split file nrg as well? I'm really confused why it can't read the split image. Any ideas?

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm not so sure the filesize is the only factor. I tried again converting the original image to and ISO image with MagicISO, which outputted it as only 3.75 GB. So I burned that, but the swap disc screen still turns pink. Unless I'm just totally missing something, the only thing I can think is that the nrg image file is way different than an iso file, and winhexing it doesn't work. So I don't know. I guess I will try to find it at blockbuster and rip it as ISO in dvd decrypter. and other things I could try? Thanks for you help.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

EUREKA!!! For shits and giggles, I tried the ISOpen software you recommened, and used that to convert the nrg image to iso. This time, it stayed as a 7 GB file, and I then winhexed it. Burned it, and run like a charm. I don't know why the other ISO program made it smaller, but it must have disrupted the contents or something. Thanks a lot for your help man, I really appreciate it!

11. necdude

necdude Guest

How does this work if you don't mind the question? I did this and it worked perfectly, but what happened to the other 3.6gb of code or therabouts? Is this witchcraft or does it downsample the video HELP!! I need to understand..

Also thanks for the help !!

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

there's nothing there. the data on the disc tricks the image file your creating to think that there is more data there, so it makes the file huge, and un-copyable. When I originally loaded the game into my dvdrom, windows exporer showed it as only 3.6 gigs, but nero read otherwise. Its just a new form of copyprotection I guess. If more games start doing this I'm gonna shoot myself. It was quite a pain in the ass.

13. necdude

necdude Guest

This same scheme should work for any other game that attempts this though right>? How the heck did you know that this would work?

What does Winhex do exactly?

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Winhex is normally used to find the splitting points of Dvd-9 games.I used it on Metal Gear Substance awhile back pretty good program to use for Dvd-9 games finding the split points.I was using Winhex to find the splitting point for this game to compress it for Swap Magic.When I ran the split operation it let me adjust the size of the game.I am glad you both got the game working perfectly.The game is probably filled up with alot of bad sectors.When a program reads the disc it can pick up the bad sectors,but nobody can burn the sectors unless using some kind of special machine.I am thinking it is just sectors on the disc to make it seem bigger than it really is,kinda like alot of dummy files on the disc.I wouldn't really say they are useless,but with the burners we have and how the PS2 picks the games up.The sectors aren't really needed they are mainly used for a direct boot process,which I doubt anyone can do without a press machine at the moment.I think it is like djscoop said Sony copy protection on PS2 games.

15. necdude

necdude Guest

Thanks L !

Were you successful with it for metal gear substance? How the heck does winhex know where to id the best splitting point?

How do you swap the disks for that?

Sorry for all the questions - I am learning though

Thanks again

16. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Holy crap! This method worked like a charm! I had to download the newest version of WinHex though and it took me forever to find a crack for it. If antone needs that crack you can e-mail me at danbooke2001@yahoo.com Thanks so much for all the help with this. Question though, will this method work for all dual layer formated discs?

17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

glad you got it working, but just wanted to warn you to not post your email address, as according to the forum rules. enjoy the game!

18. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Aaaahhh, sorry about that. I should review those again soon, causing I've been doing crap like that around here alot, so I am correcting myself by saying you guys can send me a PM or something! Thanks once again guys, this is a dumb game, but overcoming this obstacle makes me feel better when I play it. One of my defining achievements!

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the game definately gets old pretty quick, although I do like the little games you play in between rounds with the balls.

20. timbadog

timbadog Member

Thank You L-Burna! I've been trying for a good month to get an answer on how to do just this. I followed your instructions to the letter and game works perfect.

ALL HAIL L-BURNA!!!