1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 to media Center PC

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Satanspet, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Satanspet

Satanspet Guest

ok guys so i just got a HP 7170 (one mother fusker of a system) at a good price and i was like hey it has media center and a tv tuner card why not hook up my PS2... well heres the problem i can't get the damn thing to go in media center i have been trying to configure it as a cable box or a satalite box but i still cant get n e wheres can someone point me to a a good tutorial on how to do this or explain it to me i can see the signal in the configuration window but no wheres else :( please help a media center noob out:p lol

Satanspet
    Straight the fusk up

intel pentium D 830 (dual core 3.0ghz)
    Ati x300 se
    250 GB 10,000 RPM Sata HDD
    1gb of pc4200 DDR ram at 533mhz

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if you have a tuner card take the video out from your ps2 to the video in on the tuner and it should run through your monitor. dont really see what you hope to gain by doing this at best you could record yourself playing on the ps2

3. Art3

Art3 Member

Very Imp question,

Like Satanspet I have a similar problem, except the the thing is I have a laptop, Insp 6000 with Windows Media Center Edition 2005, and I want to hook up my PS2 to the thing. I don't have the analog ports on the back (yellow, white, yellow) on my laptop but I do have it on my tuner. I even get as close to as setting up a TV connection, it gives a component video connection option with a little mini screen of what it shows, and I can basically play through that little screen, but it has a crappy lag and its too damn small. If you continue with the setup you end up wiht a range of channels 1- 9999, but no way to set it to the video setting like you can on a real tv. I don't really care if i do it through media center, but I finally have a way of hooking up my PS2 to my comp and I was hoping somone can provide a solution on how i can play vid games on my laptop.

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Seriously... WHAT IS THE POINT. why would you want to play a PS2 through a computer theres is no advantage to it at best you could just record what your doing on the ps2 onto the comp but what would be the point in that. If you were trying to hook it up to your monitor i could understand but why dont you just play it through a TV like everyone else. for a start the screen on your TV is probably bigger.

If you want to play games on your PC get some PC games.

5. rundata

rundata Guest

rofl exactly i mean why do people do this? pc is for pc games why the hell would you want to play a ps2 through your pc?
    why not play it through a tv. then use your pc as a pc like its meant to be. makes sense eh. but if you REALLY want to, the tuneing channel is usualy 36 ;) tune it in like you would a tv channel.

6. Art3

Art3 Member

Hey thanks I'll try it, and the reason I don't just play it on a tv is cuz my desk at my dorm is already small enough and oddly placed, buying a TV would just really take more space than I have and cost me a couple benjamin's at it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if it doesnt work you could always get an external tv tuner for the monitor so you can use it as a tv without the computer being on. you should be able to hook a ps2 up to one of those easy enough and theyr not very expensive

8. Art3

Art3 Member

I got a laptop, I dont think you can do that with a laptop

9. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

no you cant do that with a laptop...

if you cant tune it in then basically thats it youve either got to just not play your ps2 or get a TV

and ive only just noticed but.. whats happened to the guy who started this thread???

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  10. orbit99

orbit99 Member

im glad i found this thread! i need help, i have an LCD tv with a monitor hookup in the back and was wondering what i would need to be able to play my PS2 on my tv but still be able to record what im playing on my ps2 to my computer.

the reason i want to record is because i play Socom 3 and i like to make videos of me and my friends playing to post on our website. i just have no clue as to what hardware/software i will need to do this.

11. johnim

johnim Guest

12. orbit99

orbit99 Member

ok ill look into those, thanks for the help.

13. cruelsun

cruelsun Guest

I've wanted to achieve this same setup as well. I have a Media Center PC in my office and would like to free up the home theater for the rest of the family by being able to play my PS2 through the PC. I do not care to record my gaming sessions, just trying to consolidate my devices into one screen without having to I too spend hundreds of dollars to do this. I tried to connect it to the MCPC, but quickly found that there was not any AUX channels or inputs (to my knowledge).

Today I came across this at www.radioshack.com,
    Automatic Game Switch for PlayStation® & PlayStation®2
    Model: 26-609
    Catalog #: 26-609
    $14.99
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102437&cp

Has anyone tried one of these devices in their setups.

14. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

why not just get a usb video capture device, then pump it through there?

15. cruelsun

cruelsun Guest

The problem with USB capture devices is that they usually require a recording to view them. Plus it's just added hardware. We're talking about new ways to use existing hardware.

16. cruelsun

cruelsun Guest

I tried the RadioShack part that I mentioned before and had very limited success. I was able to see the image from the PS2 while using DScaler (no changes to the default settings), but it was full of static.

I connected the PS2 to the video tuner card in the PC via the RCA inputs and was able to view the PS2 image and hear the sound. The image needed to be corrected for color and contrast but was still viewable. The image was not clear TV quality, but one could get used to it. I intend to try it out for a while.

Again, the only reason for me doing this was to incorporate the PS2 into my home office so my wife and kids can watch TV and movies on the home theater and I can still play my games. Also without adding another piece of equipment to the office, such as an additional TV.

PC - HP m7310
    Tuner Card - Hauppague PVR II

17. Jet88

Jet88 Member

I have a toshiba labtop... It came with an external tv tuner hook up, and I want to hook up my PS2 to my PC (because as previously mentioned, I live in a dorm and I do not have enough space or cash to own a tv). The tuner has the AV in hook up that attaches to my PC fine, but I'm not sure how to "tune in" to my PS2 okay... Can someone explain in small words if I'm SOL or if there is another way to hook up to a labtop

18. cruelsun

cruelsun Guest

Use DScaler available at http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

I found it to be the best way. You will probably have to adjust the settings a bit. But over all it is the best way to go.

19. johnim

johnim Guest

hi if your external tuner as av in there should be

yellow phono connector for video
    a red and white one for audio

just connect the same colours from your playstation

20. Kulps1219

Kulps1219 Member

Be careful if the card has a video delay for the input. My external ATI TV wonder has a small delay so its just enough to throw you off when trying to play a game. Basically when you hit the button, the command won't instantly happen on screen. You have to start anticipating ahead of time what you're gonna do.