1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 BluRay Movie Playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by eatsushi, Nov 17, 2006.

1. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Just some quick initial impressions after a few of hours of use:

Loading time is very quick (faster than the HD-A1).

Using the controller to navigate the menu takes some getting used to. I definitely suggest getting a BD remote when Sony comes up with one. The Cinema Conversion options in the BD/DVD Setting menu needs some explanation. More on this in a future post maybe. The Audio Options for BD playback also needs some explanation. I used the Bitstream option since I don't have an HDMI receiver and I used digital optical.

PICTURE QUALITY. In one word EXCELLENT. I watched some scenes from X-Men: The Last Stand (BD25 - MPEG 4/AVC) and Corpse Bride (BD25 - VC1). Color reproduction and detail were very good with very little in the way of noise or artifacts.

AUDIO QUALITY. No complaints her either except of course that you need an HDMI receiver to be able to enjoy Dolby TruHD. Even then the DD sound is very good.

The PS3 is very quiet - quieter than the 360 - but does produce a good deal of heat (not as much as the 360 I think). I haven't watched a movie all the way through but hopefully there won't be any freeze ups.

More later maybe.

My system:

PS3 60GB
    Sony 60 inch A2000 series SXRD
    Panasonic PT-AE900u
    DaLite Cinema Contour 110" 16:9 High Contrast Gray Screen
    Denon AVR-2105
    Energy Encore 1 & 2, Energy Encore 8 SW
    Video connections thru HDMI
    Audio connection thru digital optical

*ADDED*
    No DVD upconversion at this time but could be possible with a firmware update.

*UPDATE*
    I'm getting random blackouts or loss of signal at 1080p on my SXRD. Note the A2000 series accepts 1080p thru HDMI. The Panasonic projector at 720p has no problems. More later.

*Another Update*
    The 1080p signal issue has resolved for now - steady 1080p BD movie playback on the SXRD for >2 hours. Maybe a heat issue???

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Thanks for the mini review eatsushi. I just got done putting my 60 Gig thru its paces also mostly with BD playback. Some things to point out:

>The first thing you must do is update the system software to 1.10.
    http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

>You can autosync your HDMI display by first turning on your display then pressing the power button on the PS3 for 5 seconds.

>Loading time is fast from a cold start.

>Fortunately I haven't had any HDMI issues such as signal loss, blackouts, or sparkles connected to an XBR1 series SXRD and to the Sony Pearl projector.

>I agree with eatsushi's assesment of the PS3's BD movie playback. There was some concern about how it would handle VC-1 encoded discs but fortunately I found no problems with these (Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby). Also more info on the Cinema Conversion options are available in the manual. (But then - real men don't read manuals right?)

>No DVD upconversion is correct. DVD's play at 480p.

>Compared to the Panasonic standalone - I think the Panny has a slight edge in picture quality and takes the audio cake with its 7.1 analog output capability given most BD releases have uncompressed PCM soundtracks.

I'll try more gameplay tomorrow with R:FoM. I've read some issues regarding this game especially with earlier model HDTV's that don't accept 720p signals. Seems the game gets bumped down to 480p.

I need to get some sleep.

-Added-
    One thing I wanted to try today was to see if my Logitech Harmony 880 remote will work with this baby but I just found out that the PS3 has NO IR port. I'll need the PS3 bluetooth remote when it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  3. gracie17

gracie17 Member

I was of the opinion that the PS3 blu-ray dosent go to 1080P on movies.
    We were able to play games and play Blu-ray movies at 1080p and 1080i over HDMI. Component cables allowed us to play games at 1080p, but dropped the resolution down to 1080i while playing Blu-ray movies. We also popped in a regular DVD movie to see if the PS3 could upscale the picture to HD resolution, but could only get movies to play at the standard 480p resolution. We haven't had a chance to test out the PS3 on older HDTVs that only support 1080i, but other web sites have reported that the PS3 will downgrade games to 480p on older HDTV displays that support 1080i, but not 720p.

http://au.gamespot.com/features/6161997/index.html?tag=features;title;0

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

DVD Upconversion could be implemented in a future software upgrade:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36188
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1130/mobile358.htm

Also some technical discussion regarding H.264 decoding etc:

5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Also significant is their support for 1080p/24 in the PS3. If SCE can implement this then my Sony Pearl projector will be very excited.

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

The new 1.3 firmware update now allows the choice of YPbPr in Video Output Mode over HDMI. This choice has resulted in a better picture overall on BD playback. Has anyone else tried this? dblbogey7?

7. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Maybe a silly question but...Are the movies displayed in the original format or are they cropped (for 16:9 sets, as in network HDTV)? I really hate to crop the movie but I also hate to waste precious lines of resolution on those damn BLACK BARS! lol!

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@eatsushi:
    You're right about the improved picture with YPbPr. I see better black levels with BD playback.

@ChiknLtl
    BD's playback in their original aspect ratio - no cropping, i.e. 2.35:1 films are shown as 2.35:1.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  9. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Games that are hd only in 720p will not be in hd on tv's that support 1080i as their only hd res. NBA 07 will play on 1080i where Resistance and Tony Hawk are bumped to 480p. I now have to break down and buy a new tv that has 1080p, 1080i, and 720p.

10. pepmocha

pepmocha Member

I heard the first release of this ps3 has a lot of bugs. I am hoping they are ironed out by march. i'll get one then

pep

11. alphabit

alphabit Member

I have had no-problems with my ps3,it goes online easy(cod3),Links up with my psp (not much to do though)It plays games designed for 720p @ 720p and movies designed for 1080 @ 1080 through HDMI on a HDCP compliant television(Samsung LCD) It has never locked up.Yes it kicks some heat out but that is what a forced air cooling system is supposed to do.
    (I had to buy a pelican fan to force the heat out of my xbox360) I whole heartedly recommend either one of these units as they are both excellent. I think the ps3 has more potential because of Blu-ray's capacity (25GB single layer)to make bigger and more detailed games. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the future brings.

12. pepmocha

pepmocha Member

i guesss your one of the lucky few. xbox had bugs too. most first generation anything has bugs. congrats on your score

pep

13. imawin

imawin Guest

i have a 61" samsung dlp 1080p. i got a hd-dvd player (hd-xa1)and i recently got a ps3. ive watched talladega nights and underworld evolution on blu-ray. to me, blu-ray dosnt even look as good as hdtv. when i watch hddvds at 1080i, it looks better than bu-ray at 1080p. and the reason i got a ps3 was to see how good blu-ray movies looked.