1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 VS Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Hobbes17, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Hobbes17

Hobbes17 Member

Hey,

I just got a flatscreen TV and was thinking of getting a PS3 to serve as a dual purpose gaming console and blu-ray player but I already have a XBox 360. Is the quality of the PS3 when it plays blu-rays worth the investment?

Thanks,
    Tara

2. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

The picture quality of Blu Rays on the PS3 is as good as any other player I have seen. Also firmware update are always available from Sony's website allowing you to play all current Blu ray discs. The PS3 is also a fantastic upscaling DVD player and will give you the best picture possible from DVDs. You can control everything from the Game controller but for the best experience i would recommend the Blu Ray Remote (http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/ps3remote.jpg). Perhaps the only drawback of the PS3 is its inability to bitstream True-HD and DTS-HD-MA audio to an AV Receiver, it does however convert HD Audio to LPCM which is still HD Audio, many would argue that unless your equipment is very high end you wouldnt notice the difference anyway.

3. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

the other downside to the ps3 is that if you have a universal remote you need to get an adapter for it

the upside is that the PS3 will play God of War 3 while a blu-ray player won't, plus you can do some cool media streaming with a ps3.

I recommend the PS3 or if money is isn't much of an issue look into getting the Popcorn Hour c200 and adding a blu-ray drive, then you've got media capability coming out the darkside. (no more MKV, or true-hd conversions)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I'd go with a newer non-Sony player, things have changed quite a bit and the next generation players are all around better performers and more convenient to use. For about $250 the Panasonic DMP-BD60 is a great choice. Want a few more bells and whistles? For $500 it's the OPPO BDP-83. Both have the ability to upscale standard DVDs at 1080p/24, wonderful if your TV supports it.

5. Hobbes17

Hobbes17 Member

Hey,

I didn't even think of audio specifics. Good point, thank you very much. My TV is a 1080processor and 120hertz it will be sweet for action movies. No can you buy a remote for the PS3 or can I just buy a sensor and use a universal?

Thanks,
    Tara

6. tcbman

tcbman Member

"The PS3 is also a fantastic upscaling DVD player and will give you the best picture possible from DVDs."

This was the case in the beginning but ps3 does not do this job good anymore.
    Good blu-ray player will give better picture on standard dvd discs

7. Hobbes17

Hobbes17 Member

Hey,

So why did they go downhill? I mean the word was out but Sony usually makes a really good product. Although I have found they have gone down in quality.

Aloha,
    Tara

8. Biggie360

Biggie360 Member

I got a PS3 60gb one of the 1st PS3's out and i goa say i only watched my 1st blu ray dvd on 1080p the otherday ... all i can say really is WOW it looked amazing i hink the PS3 blu ray dvd player is just as good as any blu ray dvd player that you can buy.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

There are many reviews that will disagree with you.

An excellent and thorough testing procedure.

10. mrdvdcode

mrdvdcode Member

Havent seen the blu ray dvd players in action, but I did see the PS3 play a blu ray - all I can say is WOW {drool}

On a side note, don't think itl be worth buying a blu ray player as it probably won't be that much better

11. lungfish

lungfish Member

Surely the answer depends on what you want. If you only want to play bluray discs then a top end bluray player is better (provided you have a tv and sound system to warrant the extra expense). If you want to play cutting edge games with free online gaming, built in wireless connectivity and also play bluray discs then the PS3 is the clear choice! And it's black and shiny...