1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP umd drive clicking £20 REWARD IF YOU HELP ME FIX IT!!!!!!!!! £20

Discussion in 'Sell your stuff' started by kingstoon, Jul 22, 2008.

1. kingstoon

kingstoon Guest

as i said in a previous thread i have a psp and everything works fine but there is one problem which is the umd drive it keeps making a clicking sound when i switch the psp on, this is what happens:
    when i on the psp (without the umd disk inside), the drive starts spinning, then the laser moves towards the drive and hits the assembly and keeps hitting the assembly for about 20 seconds.
    when i press the black switch inside the umd drive nothing happens.
    i have opened the psp up and changed the whole umd drive and i still get the same problem with the new umd drive.
    i have figured out that if i fully tighten the screw under the psp near the earphone slot then the problem accours but if i keep the screw loose, and make sure its not pressed in around the joystick area then the umd drive works fine, but when i push the cover in abit in the joystick area then the umd drive starts ''clicking'' and doesnt read umds. this is a problem as i have to use the joystick to play games and when i press the joystick abit then the umd drive starts clicking. what can be the problem.

i have tried alot of things, but if someone can help me fix it then they will get a £20 reward through paypal.

thankyou

2. Dr1ver

Dr1ver Regular member

you see the screw at the bottom of the psp loosen that a bit also make sure that all the screws are tight on the umd drive

i changed my case ages ago and found that the screw at the bottom was causing the drive to not read correctly (dont know why)

but as i said also try tighting the screws on the drive its self (should be 4 and you will need to take the umd cover off to get to them (as you should know from taking it apart)

p.s if this does fix it you can keep the money i do this for free :)

3. kingstoon

kingstoon Guest

all the screws on the drive are fully tightened but when i loosen the screw at the bottom it has to be fully loosend for the drive to work. or it still wont work. and if i fully loosen it then the joystick wont work properly. thanks

4. Dr1ver

Dr1ver Regular member

have you tried it half way i managed to have it just a bit out but enough for the analog stick to work fine

also try loosening the screws at the bottom of the umd drive

i think it will just be a case of getting the screws set up correctly. sony some how have made it so that all thescrews when tightened and in the psp works 100% fine but one screw missing and the psp doest work 100% its realy anoying.

5. kingstoon

kingstoon Guest

havent tried loosening, i will try and let u know. thanks

6. kingstoon

kingstoon Guest

tried it, still same problem.

7. Dr1ver

Dr1ver Regular member

:S may be that there are screws missing on the mob or some of the screws where the umd drive have distroied there thread.

when you tighten the screws for the umd drive is there any that just keep screwing or do thay all get to a point where you cant screw +
    them any more. if thats the case then you will need to get a bigger screw to re thread the hole and use the bigger screw to tighten it.

i think thats the problem mainly with mine is that one of the umd screws is not tight though umds play but when the psp is shook the umd does not read causing the home menu to pop up.

also make sure that the other screws on the case are tight.

i can garantee this is nothing to do with software its to do with something being out of place and its just a case of finding it.

8. kingstoon

kingstoon Guest

there is no screws that keep screwing all the screws are fitting in perfect. i have taken the psp apart about 10 times now to check everything.

9. Dr1ver

Dr1ver Regular member

well apart from that theres not much else you can

try loosening the screw (slightly) by the analog stick and then slightly tightening the screw at the bottom

i know its a pain in the ass to get it fixed this way but iv had to go through the same thing and it took me ages to get it right

10. forumLife

forumLife Guest

loosen the four forks that are -inside- the umd cover area. what was happening is that the forks were so tight that they were not bending correctly. so the umd waas not reading because it was not on the reading axel.

this information is free as well. if i wanted money i would be working right now. lol.

11. jdmzoom

jdmzoom Member

hey ive been having this problem too after i opened my psp.
    i dont understand the 4 'forks' youre talking about

12. meatful2

meatful2 Regular member

DVD drive motors "click" typically when they get old... and start to go out. Perhaps your motor is just old... and winding down.

If you have ever looked at the inside of how a dvd/cd drive works, there is a plastic bear that moves the laser assembly up and down to position itself on the platter to read via laser. The "clicking" noise you are hearing is most likely a broken tooth on the gear, or the gear itself is loose, and missing occasionally. if it is constant, odds are the gear is tweaked or not tight against the striker on the drive.

To fix this... may as well get a replacement drive if this is the case... cheaper that way. And its NOT something i would advise fixing yourself. try searching for a replacement drive motor on ebay?

13. Tlj297

Tlj297 Member

It's a bit late but I buy broken PSPs, repair them, and sell them and have come across this problem several times. The symptoms vary but it's generally like this: When starting up the PSP with a UMD in the drive, there are no problems. It will read the UMD and load it if you have UMD autostart enabled or go to the VSH menu if you don't. You can open and close the UMD an change UMDs and it will continue to function fine. However, if you start the PSP without a UMD in the drive, the UMD laser lens assembly moves left and right, causing the various grinding and clicking noises mentioned. It will also not read UMDs once you insert one. When you press the black UMD detection switch, the laser head moves up and down but no red laser shines.

Unfortunately, I believe this problem is caused by a fault in the motherboard. I have completely disassembled a PSP with this problem and connected the bare motherboard to just the UMD drive and power board (in order to turn it on). Turning it on like this, there is no clicking noise and UMDs still read when inserted. However, if I turn it on with no UMD in the drive and put even slight pressure on the motherboard around the area where the joystick connects with the board, the clicking begins and it will not read disks. I have no idea what actually causes this as the problem will happen even if you put pressure on the board without touching any electrical components but unless there is a way to fix the problem with the mobo, there seems to be no way to solve this problem without having a loose faceplate and non-functioning joystick.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Tlj297, that sounds like a cold solder joint or possibly a cracked trace but i lean towards a cold solder joint.

15. Tlj297

Tlj297 Member

I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to circuits and any kind of complicated soldering but wouldn't a cold solder joint result in a bad connection which would simply cause the drive to not function as all, rather than function abnormally without the UMD detection switch even being pressed? Like I said, I don't know much about it, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong and a cold solder joint is a possibility, do you have any idea what components of the motherboard I should check for one?

Also, I'm not familiar with what a cracked trace is (although I imagine it's exactly what is sounds like), could you tell me a little more about that and/or if there's a possible solution?

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the problem doesn't happen til pressure is put on the board at a certain spot, that indicates a break in the solder or the trace which looks like wires embedded into the board. as for which component the i don't know as i do not have a game console. i use to work for celestica which used to be part of ibm in the late 90's & early 2000's doing board rework on sun microsystems, cisco systems, nokia cell phones & a couple other companies' boards that celestica did work for.

17. Tlj297

Tlj297 Member

I see. Thanks for the info. :)

18. daffy187

daffy187 Guest

My response is late too. Happy New Year!! My psp does the same thing as described above. I take it apart it works fine. I assemble it and the clicking starts. I have another psp, i will swap motherboards and see if that works. I will post if it works.Talk about keeping that thread alive.