1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psu + 8800/9600 help

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by tylak, Jun 29, 2009.

1. tylak

tylak Regular member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No. That PSU will go bang even if you put a graphics card half as powerful as an 8800. You've also chosen two very old graphics cards that are no longer very competitive performers. This is miles better:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770
    here is a new PSU that will handle the card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
    Don't be fooled by the wattage rating, this unit is more than triple the power of the Apevia unit (Apevia lie about their specs, Corsair don't)

3. tylak

tylak Regular member

thanks that ati card is miles better than the other two i selected, now i want a card that my psu can handle, as to why you say that apevia lies i highly doubt that, as there would be to many legal issues, and im not interested in the watts i know i have more than enough watts for my system, what im interested is in 12v rail amps.
    on a side note, i know that watts are amps times voltage Xd

also i would prefer a nvidia card not ati

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Put simply, nvidia cards of this particular scale cost a lot more for the same level of performance. If you're willing to pay more for the same product just because it has the nvidia label on it,so be it.
    No company is legally allowed to lie about their power supply ratings. However there are several loopholes that can be exploited such that they can effectively do just that, output at a certain temperature and then of course "oh, it was a faulty unit" when one blows below spec.
    trust me, the Apevia PSu is rated for 34A on the 12V rail, but trust me, if you drew more than about 10-11A off it, sparks would start flying out the back of the PSU, they're so badly made it's a damn joke. The Corsair 400W unit is a much more powerful unit, and can actually produce the 30A it specifies.
    The Sapphire HD4850 I posted was $95. This is the cheapest nvidia card I would recommend instead of it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150357

5. tylak

tylak Regular member

i dont plan on buying a new psu, i know mine can handle that card and a psu is just to expensive for me, i havent read any ware online that they suck or anything remotely close to that.

6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

and once the card is under load, the apevia will go poof.

name brand IS important in computer components. poorly made ones will have poor results.

7. tylak

tylak Regular member

im i just need more proof to this, i cant see it happening

8. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747

of course they don't say the name. the other companies would sue. but THAT'S what happens to low end ones, like apevia, rosewill, bestec, etc; all they care about is making the quick buck. they don't care about quality like pc power&cooling, antec, corsair, seasonic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed - Apevia are actually one of the worst brands for that too, there are other suspicious cheap brands that fare better.

10. tylak

tylak Regular member

alright i purchased the corsair psu but a different graphic, im upset about having to spend money on a psu but what can i do thanks all, if i was being naive im sorry Xd

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which graphics card did you get instead? You could have asked us first.

12. tylak

tylak Regular member

i know you suggested an ati card but im just to loyal to nvidia Xd

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh dear me. The 9800GT is miles behind the HD4850, and yet you actually paid more for it. I don't always recommend ATIs because I'm biased, because there are some parts of the market where buying the opposite brand is simply throwing money away. This is one of them.

14. tylak

tylak Regular member

since were kinda on topic whats the difference between stream processors and steam processing units? also its not that much better only 25mhz in the core clock and 186mhz in the memory clock, it was only 5 bucks more, includes a game and is from evga ( great tech support/ warrenty)

15. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I lol'd

Mainly because it's so true

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I lol'ed. One of the people that assume graphics cards are all about the mhz and nothing else matters. it hasn't been true of processors for over ten years, why should it be true of graphics cards? (Hint: it isn't)
    It's noticeably slower (go look at any benchmark), you paid more for it, and it's from EVGA, who have had severe quality control issues in the past.

Long story short, you've been sucked into the nvidia hype and have been ripped off for it. It happens too often, much too often. That's not to say that all nvidia products are bad value for money, they aren't, but there are lots of occasions like this where you get screwed for your brand loyalty.

17. tylak

tylak Regular member

whats the difference between stream processors and stream processing units, forgive me for my ignorance

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're the same thing.

19. tylak

tylak Regular member

if so how can that ati card have 8 times what the 9800 can and be about the same price?, that makes no sense to me, and if your right about them being the same, i think newegg should remove the " obsolete " products

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  20. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

because they're different architectures. you can't compare those numbers to eachother.