1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU fans not running

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NJman, Jun 21, 2007.

1. NJman

NJman Member

My friends computer keeps shutting down after about a half hour. We noticed that the PSU fans havent been running at all. We went to the local PC service store who we are friendly with and they stated that the fans for this model shouldnt come on unless the PSU gets to hot. Well we noticed that the fans never come on and we believe that the PC shuts down after 30 minutes due to overheating. Does anyone have any solutions to this or know anything about this PSU. Any help is appreciated.

2. onya

onya Guest

If you are certain that the power supply unit is causing the shutdowns, you may be lucky to walk away with serviceable components of that PC. It has been posted on several occaisions that when a PSU goes it takes other components with it because of the instability of supply. My opinion is that when you replace the PSU, not only should you get a higher rated unit, but don't expect all to be well after the new unit is installed. Having said that, you say that there have been several attempts of restarting and all seems ok until shutdown. Good luck to you both.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's probably only shutting down due to overheating (typically the temperature-based PSU fans come on within 5 or 10 minutes of the PC being on because their startup temperature is set low). However if the fans have stopped working because it's a cheap PSU, the power supply apocalypse could hit you. I recommend changing the PSU, regardless.

4. onya

onya Guest

G'day Sam, nice turn of phrase......wish I'd have used it myself!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol it comes from personal experience. Don't buy Qtec. Ever.