1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU issue

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Chambers2, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Chambers2

Chambers2 Member

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me.....I have recently replaced a PSU in a machine, when i go to turn the machine on nothing happens this is when a PCI-Express card power connector is plugged into the Card when i unplug it from the card and start up it boots up normal...I was wondering if you had any advice,

Thanks In Advanced

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

It may be that you psu is not supplying enough power to run everything in your computer. So it depends on the amount of watts it can give out. As your graphics needs additional power it will be overloading your psu. But then again it might not be this and something totally different.

Can you post the power supply you have e.g. make / watts also as much info about your pc as possible in regards to hardware installed.

3. Chambers2

Chambers2 Member

Hello.....It is a coolerMaster 650Watt power supply...it was the same power supply watt that was in which was a qtec

4. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

mmm thats a decent enough psu.

I take it the psu has a pci-e connector built in? or are you using 2x 4 pin molex to 1x pci-e connector converter?

As i havnt come accross this problem myself i would suggest doing a bench test, this involves removing the motherboard and placing it on a anti static surface, keeping the basic hardware installed such as cpu, ram, and graphics card. This will rule out any shortouts that may be happening in case.

5. Chambers2

Chambers2 Member

Yeah the psu has a PCI-Connector on it....the computer boots up when it is not connected....I would have thought 650Watts would have been more than enough to power the card, just seems weird that the card would consume the power to the point it will not start up

6. Chambers2

Chambers2 Member

I mean when the power connector to the PCI-Express card is not connected