1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psu issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nate2005, Apr 12, 2012.

1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

Hello everyone, if this is not the correct spot to put this topic I am sorry in advance. My mom has a HP Pavilion Elite E9220Y desktop. Her power supply just went out the other day and the psu that was is in the pc is a Lite-ON model # ps-5301-08HA. She went out and bought a Logisys psu 550 watts model # P550A-BK. I installed the new power supply and when I start up the pc it says boot sequence error. Have I plugged in something wrong? I went to the boot up diagnostics screen and it shows that it only sees the dvd- drive and not the hard drive. any help on this would be greatly appreciated im going crazy with this. thanks in advance

2. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

first thing i would check is make sure all pwer cable are in properly if they are try without cdrom power and just hdd if you get a responce from hdd it could be faulty power cables or not enough power from psu to run both meaning faulty psu.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat both ends of the sata data cable to the hard drive & motherboard. also reseat the power connector from the psu to the hd.

4. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

alright I will try that, I made sure all cables were secure on motherboard including the sata data cable, however I didnt take the cable out and reseat it so I will have to try that and see if that works. if that doesnt work what else could it be?

5. ddp

hd died which i hope not.

6. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

see what is weird though is the hd was working fine before the psu went out?

7. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok tried that still did not work, all it sees is the cd drive. I even tried changing the sata data cable from sata 1 to sata 2 and still nothing. Is there a way to figure out of the HD is shot?

8. ddp

try it on another computer to see if bios sees the drive or not.

9. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

so I did that and yup the hard drive is shot, the bios on another computer did not detect it at all. Going to buy a new hard drive tomorrow and replace it. Thanks for all your help ddp. If I have any further questions I will be sure to inquire about them.

10. ddp

no problem.