1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchasing Nero 8, other versions and other updates and upgrades

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by 2early, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 2early

2early Member

Hello to all,

I currently have Nero 7 Essentials that was included with a DVD burner drive that I purchased and the software has expired asking me to upgrade. My ? is if I upgrade to Nero 8, and I'm certain that this software is constantly improving, would I have to purchase the new versions each and everytime the new versions come out, and would I have to purchase new updates and upgrades also? If so, how much and how are these prices regulated and prorated for the customers that have already invested in the software. Is there a version of Nero that is still being used other than Nero 7 and 8 that doesn't require any extra purchasing of updates and upgrades?

I'm wondering if I need to update or upgrade, because the box is always appearing everytime I try to burn or back up a movie file. It will stop at the starting point of burning and gives an error message of "transcoding". So do I need to make another purchase to Nero or switch to a similiar software that won't keep demanding funds every 3 months to upgrade or for newer versions? I would like to build a video library for archiving without having to financially strain or starve.

Thanks for all your help and responses.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Once you buy a fully functional version of Nero, you don't need to pay for future updates.
    If you buy Nero 7, you will be able to use the latest version. You would have to pay again if down the road decide to upgrade to Nero 8.

If you buy Nero 8 instead of Nero 7, you pay once, and after, the updates are free. As long as new versions of Nero 8 come out, you would be able to get those for free.

If however, they would come out with Nero 9, then in order to upgrade from Nero 8 to Nero 9 you would have to pay for it

3. 2early

2early Member

thanks for replying,

everytime i try to burn a dvd from movie files the upgrade box always appear and the error message box about "transcoding" is always thereafter also. does this suggest that i'm missing some updates or i need a certain codec to back up. it was working fine when i started using it. i have a couple of error logs for viewing if necessary.

thanks

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If it came with your bburner, it is possible to have just a trial version.
    To just burn, I would download ImgBurn (it is free and much better than nero for burning).

To convert from different formats to DVD, DVD Flick would be the free choice.

http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/dvd-flick-guide.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. 2early

2early Member

and since nero 7 came with the burner can't i just update or upgrade to the full version of nero 7 since i enjoy it. isn't imgburn is just for burning video or image files, not audio files or will convert various movie fills as Convertx2DVD or Nero 7? I've tried DVDFlick and Convertx2DVD, DVDFlick didn't work for me, but Convertx2DVD i did like, just getting advice on which full version software i should purchase.

Thanks

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, you can upgrade, you can purchase the full version of Nero.

ImgBurn is just for burning, Video and audio, no conversion.