1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

put CD-RW drive back in comp now comp wont turn on..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hockeyfan, Jun 30, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You too, if you need any help when it comes to installing the new power supply, you know where to come.

Regards

Sam

2. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

I'm sorry to bother you again Sam, but I had a quick question. If the whole computer is dead would that mean the hard drive would be dead too? I am asking because I took the hard drive out of the comp that was messed up, and put it in another comp and its working fine. I guess what I am asking is if the hard drive is still working would that mean that the comp that is messed up might not be completely fried? Thanks alot!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a complete unknown unfortunately. When things like this happen, all you can do is see what works and what doesn't. Everything being destroyed is a rare case and doesn't often happen, but don't expect to get away with only needing to replace the power supply, that's what I'm saying. You've just proved that your HDD (and therefore your data) is safe, now time to figure out what else is damaged. The first thing to do is to replace the Power supply, since that's almost certainly ruined. You may get lucky and the PC will work when you put a new PSU in. (Remember to choose the right voltage!) If not, we can work from there.

4. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Ok cool. Well I guess not all is lost :) I will probably pick up that power supply sometime this weekend, and I will be sure to give you the details on what I get. Thanks for all your help Sam!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok no problem, you're welcome.

6. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Hey Sammorris this is the guy whose sister fried her comp by switching the power level switch in the back to 215 haha! I picked up a Power supply for 35 bucks. 580 Watts. My buddy bought it and didnt need it so he sold it to me brand new in the box and everything. When I took the comp into the shop I had the tech test all the components and the video card was also fried too, but other than that everything was ok. I installed everything myself, and now the comp works fine. I picked up a video card for around 47 bucks. My sis didnt need anything fancy but just something that would let her watch youtube lol! Thanks again for the help and I'm sorry its been so long for me to get back to ya :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fair enough, although a $35 power supply will probably fry the PC again in short time.

8. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

He wanted 35 for it to just get rid of it. He paid more for it than that.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You are aware of the damage cheap power supplies can do, right?

10. hockeyfan

hockeyfan Member

Well he bought it off of newegg.com and its a 500 Watt Thermaltake. He gave me the invoice that came with it, and it was 79.99 plus tax. So does that mean its a cheap power supply? If the one I got from him was 80 bucks and he only charged me 35 for it then I think I got away with a steal. He thought he would be leaving for the military in a few months, but they are calling him to boot camp early and he isnt gonna have any use for it for a while, so he just sold it to me. Soooo should I take it out or what?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, suppose you did alright there. Usually a 500W PSU for $35 sets off alarm bells, but that one should be fine.