1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting multiple avi files onto 1 DVD with a menue??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Spunks3, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Spunks3

Spunks3 Regular member

hey, i tried using dvdsanta but the dvd doesnt seem to be working... so i was wondering if there are any other ways to put multiple avi files onto 1 dvd with a menue? the avi files are about 44 minutes long each. im planning on putting about 3 avis on 1 DVD to preserve quality... please somebody help!! thnx!

2. tdoublee

tdoublee Member

bump

Hi, newbie here and I have a similar problem. I have about 10 episodes in .avi format that are about 351 MB each (run about 56 min each) and would like to put them on a DVD so that I can play them on my DVD player. I have read the avi-to-dvd guide, but they are using software that I am not.

I have downloaded VSO DiVxtoDVD and converted the avi files.. what next?
    -I also have DVD Shrink 3.2 and I have just downloaded Nero 6.6.0.12 and have the software my computer came with ( DVD Creator 2 Platinum- which I've seen many people on here say it's crap LoL)-

I would like to put my converted files on a dvd ( i understand that i wont be able to put all 10 movies- what's the recommended amount?)to play on a standard dvd player, and would like a menu to show the different episodes. If I use Nero, I guess I can't make menus? (I dunno if I'm just blind and missed it)

Do I have the use the DVD Shrink? Can I somehow make a menu using the the DVD Creator and then Nero to burn the dvd? And lastly, If I want to burn the files directly on the dvd, which of the VIDEO_TS files do I use- all of them or just the .VOB files?

I am sorry for all my questions, I am just really confused, and spent many hours trying to find the answer on the forum =o/ Sorry guys! Thank you so much!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  3. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

Hi there,

I had the same problems until last december and couldn't find a good solution. Then I decided to buy a Philips 720 SA DVD player which plays DivX, XviD and other mpeg4 files. Best decision I made in a long time. No need to convert and waste time and space. I just burn data DVDs with my avi files and can watch them in really good quality on my DVD standalone. You can put 12 avi files with 350 MB each on a DVD and still have space left for some music or pictures.

Buy a good DivX DVD player !!! You won't regret it!

4. Spunks3

Spunks3 Regular member

i used dvdsanta to convert them into DVD files small enough to fit onto 1 DVD (put 3 episodes on 1 DVD to keep the quality decent) then i used TMPGENC DVD Author to create a menu... if u search the web u may be able to find a turtorial for the tmpgenc author...

5. tdoublee

tdoublee Member

mikeeagle- thanks for your advice! much appreciated! yes, I am now definitely taking in consideration to invest in a DVD player that supports DivX for myself.. but I still want to know how to be able to convert them so that I can take them to my friends' houses and be able to play them there, as not everyone will have a DivX dvd player.. thanks again though!

Spunks3- Thanks for your advice as well! I am now going to check out this DVD Santa =o) A question though- when you converted the avi files, I assume it made that VIDEO_TS file right... but when you used that TMPGEnc DVD Authoring.. and you opened the VIDEO_TS files.. which ones in there did you use to burn the movie(as there are different ones : IFO, VOB, BUP??)
    And also, if I have multiple avi files, they get converted with the VIDEO_TS file.. but all the files within all have the same name? do I have to rename each episode's VIDEO_TS file?

Thanks again for all your help guys!

-Tasha

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  6. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hey folks,

Sumvision N820 DivX dvd player. Inbuilt menu so you can burn AVI's as a DATA CD-R/DVD-R the dvd player will auto-matically recognise the files and let you choose which you wish to watch.
    Costs £42 here in the UK, dunno in US
    ;)

-Mike

7. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

DivX DVD players show all files they can play in their own menu. Not to be compared to a real DVD menu. It's kept simple and plain. It's the same menu for video, music and pictures.

It's up to you what you're doing with the DVD player. My Philips 720 SA can play MP3s from CD and DVD, it can handle MP3 tags and can even play SACDs.

Video files can be AVIs, VCDs or SVCD files. You don't have to burn (Super) Video CDs any more. Just put them on a data-DVD. You can put DivX, XviD, VCD and SVCD files on the same disc. No problem.

My Philips did cost 129 Euros. There are cheaper ones but I like the style and it's really quiet and well built.

By the way, I used to convert my AVIs to VCD or SVCD and put them on CD-RWs to watch them on my old DVD player. I used TMPGEnc or MainConcept MPEG Encoder to do that. But I always kept my files (VCDs and SVCDs) on data-DVDs to save space.

8. Spunks3

Spunks3 Regular member

when u finish authoring the DVD with tmpgenc dvd author... they have a DVD writing tool in the program you can use:)