1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting Sub Titles on DVD's

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by mrwd, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mrwd

mrwd Member

Hi,
    I use Adobe Encore 1.5 to make DVD's for my customers.
    I have an 18 min project with subs in 2 languages. There is 235 seperate titles for each language. I have prepared these subs and imported them into Encore as txt files. When I get these into Encore I have do some tweaking to get things right, such as; centralize the titles, italicize the titles and so on so that the subs conform to International standards. When I do this Encore freezes and I lose everything!
    I have been to the Encore Forum Board and I was told that what I an doing is beyond the current capacity of Encore.
    OK, does anyone out there know of a fix, or another way of getting titles onto my DVD's
    Thankks
    Mike

2. noescal

noescal Guest

the work you re trying to do in encore is certainly out of the capacities of the program, you can add subtitles in encore, but you need a lot of patience because the only way to do it without getting the result you re having is to add the text word by word in the monitor window.

3. mrwd

mrwd Member

Thanks for your reply, you've hit the nail on the head.
    Do you know of any progam out there that will do what I want?
    Regards
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. noescal

noescal Guest

well, I propose you to write the subs in a simple notepad file with the "srt" format (1 00:02:32,899 00:02:34,234 "here goes the text") you can find examples of these files in the search engine of your preference. If your doing an original movie you can´t avoid this step, if your adding subs to a hollywood movie you´ll find subs already writen if you search inteligently.

after writing subs i recomend these guides to get your job to a good result:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135193

or if you prefer this one

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/197950.php

both procedures are the same basically, once you have your demultiplexed (one audio file and one video file) dvd files onto hard disk you will convert the "srt" file to "sup" (the diference is: the first file is still text, the second one is a kind o "bmp" file, then you use again ifoedit in order to multiplex the video, audio and subtitles files.

here we could have a big problem an those guides doesn´t mention it, what will you do if the subtitles don´t match the video :)
    don´t worry, with a program called time adjuster...

http://dvd.box.sk/index.php?pid=soft&prj=info&pol=20&rid=6051

...you can fix the time of your "srt" file and start all the project again. As you will see man, this kind of things require a lot of patience. "Rome wasn´t made in a day"

if your confused, don´t get mad. It took me three days to add subtitles to "Monthy Pythons Life Of Brian" in order to my deaf aunt could enjoy those great jokes man.

Take care

oh i almost forgot it, you´ll work less writing the srt file in notepad than encore.