1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Px-716A installation causing Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Graviton, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Graviton

Graviton Member

I am running Win98SE on 2.4GHz P4 (Intel D845GEBV2 chipset), 60GB Maxtor HD, 512 MB RAM. I was replacing a Lite-On CD-RW that began crashing my system when I tried to burn. When I pulled it and installed the Plextor, my system began booting to the BSOD after going through some of the startup process. My error message is "Exception OE at 0028:C1980C99 in VxD SCSIPort(01)+000007D9. This was called from 0028:C1C323A4 in VxD scsihlp(03) + 00000774."

Then things got interesting. My secondary IDE port also has a 16x Lite-On DVD-ROM as the slave. I tried replacing the old 40-wire IDE cable with the 80-wire cable included with the new Plextor drive. Still BSOD. I tried unplugging the Plextor, and I could start up again. I went hunting for drivers, BIOS updates, and advice. Updated the BIOS. Still BSOD when Plextor is connected. Eventually, my system got cranky and started crashing with just the old DVD-ROM connected. I sit here typing on a machine that has had all CD/DVD drives unplugged and disconnected.

One other potentially interesting thing. The Plextor software that I installed before my DVD-ROM wigged would sometimes give me an error message about "wnaspi.dll" saying I had version 1.0.0.0 and that could cause problems. Could it be causing the crash? Why would my old DVD-ROM suddenly go wiggy, too?

My current plan of attack is to follow the guides here on updating ASPI files and then re-attempt to connect my Px-716A. As far as I can tell, all cables and jumpers are set/connected appropriately, except for possible 40-wire vs. 80-wire cable issues. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    THanks much in advance!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The main thing is to be sure all jumpers are set correctly and the burner is in the right spot on the IDE cable...
    Next time you get your machine booted up uninstall all IDE controllers and CD/DVD drives in device manager. If you have to start the PC in safe mode by hitting the F8 key while windows is booting up and then uninstall them devices. Then restart your system and let windows load them automatically.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. Graviton

Graviton Member

Thanks, BBMayo. I rechecked cabling and jumpers. Burner is jumpered as master and is at the correct (i.e. far) end of the cable. ROM is jumpered as slave and is in middle of cable.

Starting up with everybody connected after updating the ASPI files and BIOS, etc. still leads to BSOD. Starting up in Safe Mode revealed the limits of my understanding. I couldn't find anything in the Device Manger labeled as IDE controller. CD-Drives listed the old ROM, and I removed it, per your instructions. The burner didn't show up at all. I found a variety of things under Hard Disk controllers that don't show up now that I boot in normal mode with no CD devices hooked up. Could any of those be IDE controllers?

Also, what gives with my old ROM wigging out? If I could just get [bold]it[/bold] back up and running, I could upgrade to WinXP and hope it would solve my problems. Of course, I'd have to get creative about backing up the files I want without a burner, but frustration is reducing my concern over data loss.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

this is interesting? and confusing? i would say its bios settings are your drives set to auto in there?

and it cant be a bad drive as you tried 2 now with same error, so it pionts to opreating system or bios not drives...

what is the boot sequence? just HD only?

what is your PSU supply? 300watt? to many drives etc pulling to much power?

have you got an external drive? on a card or firewire installed? SCSIPort(01)+000007D9 if not do you have hyperion drivers? instead of via 4in1

is it the plextor software you installed????

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

[bold]do you have INCD installed from nero? if so uninstall it!!!!!!![/bold] then try your drives!

its a driver software conflict uninstall all cd/dvd writing software and try drive, if it works load apps till it wont boot! then you know!

also this is video/graphic card and drivers issue!
    SCSIPort(01)+000007D9

but do first step! first...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I would do as Rotary has already suggested first.. Remove all DVD/CD Software to include playing software and give it another try. If that doesn't work then try just booting up with one ddrive connected and see what happens? If it boots up fine with one drive then try the other one by itself just to rule out the possibility of the drives being bad. Now if they both boot up without the BSOD by themselves then give this a try. Put both jumpers on Cable select and give that a shot..

7. Graviton

Graviton Member

Thanks, BBMayo, Thanks Rotary,

I'll try your suggestions. I did have InCD installed. The weird thing is that uninstalling it ran into some error, but still removed most of it. After deleting the remaining files by hand, InCD still shows up on the Add/Remove programs list. I have now removed all other DVD/CD related software and will attempt to reconnect the drives in various combinations and reboot.

Now to answer Rotary's questions. I think my BIOS is set to auto for my drives, but I will double check next time I boot. I do remember that the BIOS was able to recognize both the Plextor burner and the Lite-On ROM, even when Win98 booted to BSOD. Boot sequence is HD first, then floppy, then CD drives. Not sure if I'm reading the power supply correctly, but I think it's 400W. Anyway, it worked fine with the old Lite-On burner. No external drive. Don't know what hyperion drivers are or 4in1 for that matter. I had the Plextor software on for a little while. Didn't put it on before my first attempt to install the burner. Then unplugged the burner and installed Plextor's software. Still got BSOD. Now I've taken it off again.

Thanks again for all your advice. Sorry I wasn't able to work on this for a few days. Wedding planning got in the way. Cheers!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. Graviton

Graviton Member

Thanks, BBmayo! I can now boot without BSOD, but neither drive appears. Before I read your post about the how to clean out InCD I tried searching for any file with InCD in the name (as well as any other CD/DVD app that I've had) and deleted them by hand. Unfortunately, I did that and switched both drives to cable select at the same time, so I can't tell which did the trick. I suppose if I'm really curious, it's easy enough to redo the jumpers and check.

I've tried using the control panel to Add new hardware, but it doesn't detect my drives. I can try to add a CD controller, but the only options it gives me are Sony, Panasonic, and Mitsumi. Should I try one of these or something else?

11. Graviton

Graviton Member

<dance,dance!>
    BIOS wouldn't recognize the drives when jumpered as cable select, so I shut down and rejumpered as master and slave. Works perfectly! Must have just been a software conflict with all my old burning software. I reinstalled the Plextor DVD burning tools and the Roxio DVD player software that came bundled with the new burner. Both drives seem to be working so far for reading. I'm about to start backing things up to test if the burner actually burns.

Thank you guys SO much! I have been on the verge of pulling an Office Space on my computer since this started.

If installing this DVD software is in some way stupid, please let me know where I can find better stuff. Thanks again!
    <pause>

Wait, didn't Rotary say there was some problem with my video/audio hardware? Do I still need to worry about that? <gulp> Here's hoping not. Thanks, guys!

12. Graviton

Graviton Member

:-(

Got some kind of unilluminating error message (write error occurred at 00:05.73 Unspecified error: 000000) when I tried to burn. Also the bar where the plextor software tells me how much free space is on my CD keeps changing. Any suggestions?

Is there any Win98 compatible software out there that I could use to burn backups before I upgrade to WinXP?

Thanks again, and goodnight.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I really belive if you upgrade to XP you will have less problems. Your system is perfectly capable to handle XP so why not go ahead and put it on your system. When you do put it on do a clean install (make sure you format your drive). I think you find that you have much less problems after loading XP. Oh and when you format your HD make sure you do it in NTFS format. You will see that when you go to load XP and know what I am talking about.

14. Graviton

Graviton Member

Thanks, BBmayo. I really appreciate all your help. I will now leave you in peace. =)