1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Python 1400XP Remote Car Starter

Discussion in 'Sell your stuff' started by homesick, Jul 29, 2009.

1. homesick

homesick Regular member

I am selling a Python 1400XP remote car starter, with automatic door unlocking capability, and trunk popping capability. I bought this from circuit city when they were going out of business, to put in my wife's 09 legacy. unfourtantlly they wanted 200$ just to install it because her key has a chip in it. I paid about 130$ for it, so 330$ total was too muuch money. It is still brand new in the box, with everything in the plastic, including instructions. I did break the tape at the store to inspect the contents. Make an offer and I will get back to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am also alyways willing to trade, so let me know what you have!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. homesick

homesick Regular member

3. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

I already have one so I don't need it, but thought I'd tell you that you can buy a security bypass to get around the key having a chip, they go for around $50-70. And installation isn't hard at all, just search online for an ignition switch wiring diagram and its cake from there.

4. homesick

homesick Regular member

thanks for the info man, but she woulndt let me touch it. besides i really wouldnt wanna make a mistake on a 25,000$ peice of equipment. thanks for the info though!

5. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

No problem, I install car stereos and such so it was natural to start installing remote starts/alarms too. My very first install was on my dads truck, he leaves for work at around 5:00 AM and in the winter that can be pretty harsh, so I bought one for him for Fathers Day a few years back and while he and my mom were out of town I jacked his truck for the day and installed it. He wouldn't have let me touch it if he knew, but since he was in a different state he didn't have as much say in the matter.

He has since traded that truck in, but he bought one for his new truck and asked me to install it when he got it, :).

Anyways, no problem for the info. Better than paying $200 for an easy install. CC was a ripoff as far as installs go.

6. homesick

homesick Regular member

do you have any suggestions on a better way of installing it? the instruction manual is quite confusing.

7. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

I'm not sure how it tells you to install it. The easiest way is to go to an electronics store and buy the snap-on wire connectors. They have a male blade connector on one end and the other you snap around the wire you are tapping into. That side has what looks like a little razor blade that cuts into the wire when you snap it on. Then you connect a female connector to the wire on the remote start and just slide it on. This makes it where you aren't physically cutting ignition wires in half so you know the car will still start.

Step 1 is always find a wiring diagram. This can be the diagrams from an autoparts store(if you can read those) to ones found online. Generally automakers use the same color-codes for all their cars.

As far as the door unlocking and trunk popping, I'm sure your wifes car already has those functions on her existing FOB, so you don't really need to worry with connecting those unless you just want to. That feature was added so people didn't have to carry two fobs on their keychains when they used the remote start, but now most all fobs are made directly to the keys, so it doesn't make any difference.

The setup most likely has brake sensors and a hood pop sensor as safety features. If so, one wire would connect to the lead going to the brakes(again, wiring diagram) that when the brake lights come on it kills power to the engine unless the key is in the ignition and in the "run" position. The hood pop sensor is most likely a pressure switch like on car doors, so if the hood is popped and someone tries to go anywhere it kills power as well. For this just pop the wire through a grommet in the fire-wall, there should be some on both driver and passenger sides of the car, possibly right under the carpet. Run it to an open hole around the frame of the hood and screw it in, connect the wires and your good to go.

I know this all sounds complicated but its really fairly simple. There is NO technical know-how needed, and I'd say with no experience wouldn't take more than a couple hours at most.

EDIT: Here is the wire color-codes
    Legacy Color-Codes

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. homesick

homesick Regular member

thanks for the helpful post!

9. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

No problem, I hate seeing people spend money on something thats relatively simple just because it seems complicated. As long as you know how to use a multimeter to check voltage before connecting wires, you can't hurt it. If it doesn't work as planned, simply disconnect the male and female ends and its back to normal.

I would actually recommend not using the supplied trunk release and door unlock features, it makes wiring easier(don't have to wire up the separate relays) and cleaner. Plus, when you already have the functionality, why add it again. Redundancy isn't always better.

Anti-Theft Bypass

That might[/] be what you need. I'm not sure of the type of immobilizer system used by Subaru, but that one does almost all of them.

There are more expensive types, like the DRK Module, it retails around $100, but uses programming(like you'd program a new key) to bypass the alarm, but doesn't stop security features from working, you'd still need the key to go anywhere.

Hope this information helps, or atleast someone sees it and decides they want the remote start and buys it from you, :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  10. homesick

homesick Regular member