1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q. about SmartRipper

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lafa, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lafa

lafa Member

Hi there,

I ripped DVD using SmartRipper, but I used not "Files" tab, but "Movie" tab and now any DVD burning software that I'm familiar with cannot open existing files. Can enyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I've got smartripper and I have a hard time making it work also. But there are threads in this forum that will tell you how to do it. If you don't want to buy any software use shrink and decrypter, both free, to burn. Personally I like Anydvd and Nero, but both those programs cost $. You could just buy Nero and get DVD43, another freeware that takes the place of Anydvd and this will fit 90% of all your burning needs. Check outhttp://www.afterdawn.com/search/search_results.cfm?hakusanat=smartripper
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  3. lafa

lafa Member

Everything works fine for me if I use smartripper "Files" tab mode to copy all files to HDD and CloneDVD2 to burn DVD (BTW this combination works fine as long as I won't screw something up :)).

This time I screwed up by accindently using "Movie" tab, which somehow is different, and I've already returned rented movie, but still have those vob and ifo files that won't work with CloveDVD2 and I still have hopes that there is an escape from this situation.

I'd think "Movie" tab suppose just copy movie, but that's not true.

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

Edited original post beacause i saw your statement :-

afterwards. I refuse to aid obvious piracy
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2004
  5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Bad move lafa, read the rules.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

6. lafa

lafa Member

Yes I read the rules and anyway I don't care if I get banned if you just bare with me while I'll explain.

I rented a movie didn't I?
    I paid 5$ already didn't I?
    Will I distribute illegal copies of it? NO.
    What will I do with a copied movie? Keep it for myself, cause it's extremally rare to find in US and I wanted to have it really badly.

It's almost the same as if you recorded something from TV using TiVo. Are you distributing your favourite NFL, NHL, NBA games that you recorded? NO.
    The same here.
    I dont say that I'm right, I'm just saying that I'm not a pirate...

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The reason this forum has rules is so this forum is allowed to exist. If everyone doesn't follow these rules or are allowed to break these rules, then, no more forum. This forum doesn't make the laws, in fact, they fight for your rights to perserve your freedom to make legal back-ups of your videos. The laws governing T.V. recordings and video burning are two seperate issues. Is it so hard for you to find your answers abiding by forum decorum or would you rather create dissention and walk away empty-handed? Seems to me the answer is obvious. There's a lot of knowledgeable people here who could help you or you could persist in following this line of reasoning and go away clueless. The choice is up to you. We await your decision.......

8. docj

docj Guest

What exactly are the "Movie" and "Backup" modes of SmartRipper for? I see that the output of the "Files" mode appears to be the same as the "Backup" mode. (They both extract the VOBs and the IFOs and BUPs.) What is the difference between them?

The "Movie" mode extracts the VOBs and an IFO and some other files with .dv2, .idx, .lst and .txt extensions. What are these files for?