1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q+ Dolby Support Help

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by mousedroid, Aug 25, 2019.

1. mousedroid

mousedroid Newbie

I bought a q+ android 9.0 box from amazon, 4GB ram 64GB internal and it behaves great but I can't get it to passthrough dolby surround to my onkyo tx-sr601 receiver via optical. My bd-iso backups work fine on my PC's via optical using powerdvd player and pops into "dolby digital EX" playing the main master audio track "DTS-HD 8 ch". I'm not sure how the reciever interprets the DTS-HD format but it works perfect and sounds awesome. My tv is from 2009 so I don't think it supports anything but PCM stereo because my pc can't handshake through my tv with sound system passthrough on the tv set using various devices so I've ruled that out as an option, I have my options set for passthrough and spdif as my sole output, and with smpc and kodi I have passthrough enabled and tried dolby digital ac3 checked and dolby transcoding checked but then theres no sound with the 2nd option which might be the only option that could work with older receivers, I'm wondering if its just not capable of doing it or I need an hdmi supported receiver which I think is silly as this only supports optical. Any suggesetions or recommendations please let me know thanks. I also clean and swipe recent apps to make sure the system has only the player running. For now its just a stereo only youtube player as I wont' watch movies without my surround :) And for music it comes in pcm stereo and I then use the recievers "All Channels St" DSP and I'm satisfied for music just a shame no surround formats can handshake with my old receiver.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. mousedroid

mousedroid Newbie

UPDATE:
    I got my device to handshake with my receiver using the default player by going to file manager on the dashboard then in the device pane i would launch my files and then it would go into dts es format and the like. I'm satisfied sadly netflix and other apps can't handshake at all and stay in pcm stereo via optical. No other player has been able to achieve it I saw the name of it Y something. I might try older kodi builds asee if those can do the same and more would be awesome, atleast i now know it can put out optical spdif to this feature rich 2001 reciever :p