1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q6600 asus go buy now

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrcapdown, Apr 4, 2008.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok i just would like to say something to whoever is going out to buy a new cpu and motherboard
    first words are

OMG

i just got a intel q6600 go stepping and a asus maximus Formula and a asus silent knight 2 heatsink

and well i just over clocked the cpu to 3.5GHz with ease with a temp of 30 idel

so if u r going to get a new setup go for this its out if this world and im very very sure that i can go much higher with this cpu but i will when i need to

thanx go get it now

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can pull that off with a P35-DS3L let alone the DS3R I usually recommend, which is still barely more than half the price of the Maximus. I try to steer people into getting quality gear where possible, but spending an extra $110 on a motherboard that isn't necessary is poor advice.

3. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok im sorry but i just got it and its soooooooooo good i thought it was good advice to recment such a good product

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Maximus Formula is a good motherboard and the Q6600 is a good CPU, but people don't have to spend that much money to achieve the same result. The Maximus is more suited to top-end crossfire setups.

5. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

but u cant justify this as being to expencive and the qualty of the board it far in excesse of the P35-DS3L as for instance it has a off board SupremeFX II soundcard and it also come with stalker, 3dmark 06 full and Kaspersky Anti-Virus products which add up to a lot of money just the softwear alone

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, the build quality of the Gigabyte boards is excellent, especially for the price. The onboard audio quality of the Gigabyte boards is also very impressive, though it's not really suitable for gaming.
    The board coming with Stalker is nice, but nobody really needs the full version of 3dmark, and I prefer using AVG Free edition to pretty much all paid AntiVirus software.
    Additionally, Asus' tech support leaves a lot to be desired. When you pay that much for a motherboard you'd expect good customer support. You'd be very lucky if you get it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

I agree with sammorris 100%
    I had to rma an ASUS striker which is also an extremely expensive motherboard ($300) and the service was extremely (i guess thats why they call it the ASUS Striker EXTREME)bad. It took them 4 weeks to "diagnose" the problem and the motherboard that they did send me showed signs of extremely rough use. I usually take very good care of my hardware and that really pissed me off.
    I had better experience with Zalman when a fan died and that was a 40 buck product(CNPS 9500)!
    I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy an ASUS.
    I am not saying that you are giving bad advice, but I bet you havent had the "pleasure" of dealing with ASUS so I am just warning you and everyone else about their bad service.

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

man you dug this up from the grave.

lol

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

typo

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Is that a proven stable 3.5Ghz? still not seen any reliable benches from you on your other q6600 post you started:)

11. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

u konw what this is bs i try to help but all i get patronizing comments so sod the lot of u im going to overclock.net

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'll take that as a no then !

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sure sounds like a no to me too :)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol I love when people can't take it that they get proven wrong. I'm really not a bad person in real life but I guess I get some guilty pleasure out of it... Sorry!

I suppose occasionally when I get flak unnecesarily because I challenge someone's concrete-set views I just get a bit sick of it. Not that I suppose I'm much different.

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

the comments weren't directed at you
    they were directed at ASUS.
    -im1992

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i just coundn't resist telling everyone what a PITA ASUS really is.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not really had much luck with them either, but obviously be advised some people on this forum are die hard Asus fanboys from the ground up, so you have to be very careful what you say. It's pathetic I know, but that's what happens sometimes.

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Asus make some very good boards, it’s just a shame their customer service is totally crap.
    They obviously don't give a damn or they would do something about it, it’s been crap for years, and never gets any better.
    I still won’t avoid Asus in the future, as I go for what seems best at the time; it has just meant that I will look for an alternative before deciding on Asus.
    As for crying off in a sulk because people either don't agree with what you say, or pick you up on things they notice, then that just seems slightly immature to me.
    Do you really expect anyone to take any advice from someone that can’t defend what they say even when questioned in such a light hearted manner as on this thread?
    As for my comments, they were well deserved, you started a thread dedicated to overclocking a certain CPU type, but then don’t follow it through with one single post worth the effort to type.
    There is a big difference from Mickey Mouse OC’ing that just posts screen shots of CPUz of a high freq, but that doesn’t prove anything ‘other than you’re fooling yourself’, one ppst just showed a BIOS reading ‘not even bootable to Windows and that was again a waste of time.
    I fully understand why someone would feel pleased with owning such equipment as that in the title, but it just seemed like someone patting themselves on the back via a forum, again another immature thing to do.

Save yourself the neck-ache and let us do what was intended from the off, and let us pat your back for you.

WOW!!! Congratulations, you've certainly convinced me - order now placed, I’ll ask how to get it working when it arrives.
    Thanks so much for the advice 'you're a true star and hero'

BTW. No mickey taking intended 'I'm serious!'

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rather condescending, but true...

20. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

This tread was made purely to show how good these two products are not to show off what i have just bought.
    As for the support im sorry you have had bad expernce with them but my father has a asus laptop with had a broken key so it was sent off and was return in 14 days with a new keyboard and also a new lid cover since the old one had a few scuffs on it free of charge.
    AS for me having the ump early im sorry sorta of toke it out on you lot as i had my girlfird i live with about to leve because of this pc adiiction i have not your problem i know but as I say sorry.
    DK as for the overclocking post i was changing the top post instead of posting new ones as for me not posting about my overclocking stress tesT i said
    and it failed but as i said i need a new psu as i have a rubbish trust 520w one at the moment witch could not even power a light bulb properley.
    So there you have it