1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q9450, 9800GX2, 8GB DDR2 MOBO PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by FSX, May 31, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not heard of any reliability problems with Gigabyte, I certainly haven't had any, and I recommend gigabyte boards to practically everyone who asks for a PC build around here and haven't heard of many issues. In contrast I've had three out of three dodgy Asus boards. yes, they were cheaper, but they were the same price as the dozens of gigabytes that are still soldiering on. Also, driver issues? Again not heard of any.

I don't think Asus as a whole are crap, but they do make a lot of products that are a little ill-researched.

2. FSX

FSX Member

Thanks sammorris again on your advice you have been very helpfull. I think in that case its either going to be one of the Gigabytes then by whats been said maybe the DQ6 or the DFI Lanparty UT X48-T2R. Incidentally can you take a look at the big heat sink thats sticking out of the back of the DFI? DO you think I would need to buy a special Case/Tower and would you recommend that?

P.S. I noticed in another thread where I posted the Q9450 for £200 here is the link, I thought it would have been £200 considering it was £180 without VAT, but with VAT and postage it is £220: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(37257)Intel-CPU-Core-2-Quad-Q9450-Quad-Core-266GHz.aspx

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

it looks like the heatsink would go outside the case through the i/o panel. you should not need a special case for that board.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems a similar price to everywhere else - plus it's from MicroDirect, who have pretty shoddy customer service.

As for DFI boards, I'd place them in the 'hardcore enthusiast' label, not the 'LAN gamer' label they choose for themselves - the boards are solid, but give you millions of features that usually shouldn't be touched, and are very finicky about a lot of things. Overall Asus and Gigabyte boards are easier to get working, and get working right.

5. FSX

FSX Member

Yeah I am beginning to think now its down between the Rampage and the DFI. Its just gone 5pm here and am hoping to make a decision by 5.45pm so I can buy before 6pm. Buf if I am not 100% certain I will wait and think about it tomorrow as I am off work tomorrow all day. I dont want to jump into any wrong decisions and regret it. I know I am taking a risk with the DDR2 but I just think its so cheap right now what I could get for 8GB of DDR2 I would struggle to get of 2GB of good DDR3. But I dont want to go down the avenue of arguing over what type of DDR to use as it would mean I would need to completely reconsider the motherboard again.

In relation to MicroDirect I have never bought anything from there before so thanks for the "heads up". Might just get it from Amazon for an extra £20: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00116VIEE/kelkoompcpc-cs-21/ref=nosim

We'll Im going to look into the Rampage and this DFI a little bit closer and see which one is better. I am willing to learn if the DFI is more complex. I am not completely computer illiterate and I am avery fast learner.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I have nothing against staying with DDR2 for now, DDR3 may have a higher speed, but the latencies are terrible and it's still very expensive. As far as I'm concerned right now DDR3 is a needless extra expense.

7. FSX

FSX Member

I think I have made my mind up and going for the DFI. I have come across 2 products, if I am going to shell out £2000 I want the best motherboard available for my Q9450 and 9800GX2. I was looking at the DFI and I found 2 main ones listed and its coming up with a different model name:

DFI LanParty LT X48-T2R: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

And also this one

DFI LanParty UT X48-T2R:
    http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3811

Do you know which one is the newest and better please? And also am I correct in saying these are the latest DFI motherboards to suit my Processor and Graphics Card.

Many thanks again.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I remember rightly, the UT series is better. However, I don't know much about the X48 chipset, so I couldn't say how these compare to normal high-end boards.

9. FSX

FSX Member

Just found out they are both the newest.

The only difference between them is the cooling on the board and the extras that come bundled with it.

The UT version is the full one that comes with everything.

I believe DFI are slightly more complex, but I am a fast learner and I hope it goes well with my Q9450 and 9800GX2. I presume its not possible to use 2 x sli? (I am not wanting this just thinking about the future) and how many GTX280's could I put in this motherboard if I buy one down the line and remove my 9800GX2?

Many Thanks again you have been overwhelming in valuable information.

Thank you Sir.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With an Intel chipset board it isn't possible to use SLI, no. You would have to use an nvidia chipset, and I do not recommend doing so. You would only be able to replace the 9800GX2 with one GTX280.

11. FSX

FSX Member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd go with the Rampage Formula - the few I know who've used it have nothing but praise for it.

13. FSX

FSX Member

How easy do you think it will be to overclock the Q9450 and what/if successfull kind of speed increase could I get?

Thanks again.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Relatively easy, you should be able to make 3.2Ghz ish without increasing the voltage much - and you shouldn't increase the voltage much, 45nm Quads fare very badly if you do that.

15. FSX

FSX Member

sammorris: Have you ever used a 780i?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, but I don't want to. Almost everyone around here's experience of nvidia chipsets (including mine) has been bad - the Intels are just plainly better. Just for SLI, they're not worth having.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i hope you aint bought yet.

PLEASE wait 2 weeks. as the new cards from ati/nvidia will be out.

the GTX280 is about 30-40% faster than a 9800GX2.

and the 4870X2 wil be about the same.

dont go for Vista 64 ULTIMATE. you should shave the extra and go for Home prem, as there isnt anything you cant do, bar bit defender, and i doubt anyone would use that.

next, im with sam, either get the rampage, or the DQ6

the CPU you want will be good for 3.6 minimum (so long as you didnt get a crap chip)

what is your budget mate, and im assumign your in the UK?

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i hope you aint bought yet.

PLEASE wait 2 weeks. as the new cards from ati/nvidia will be out.

the GTX280 is about 30-40% faster than a 9800GX2.

and the 4870X2 wil be about the same.

dont go for Vista 64 ULTIMATE. you should shave the extra and go for Home prem, as there isnt anything you cant do, bar bit defender, and i doubt anyone would use that.

next, im with sam, either get the rampage, or the DQ6

the CPU you want will be good for 3.6 minimum (so long as you didnt get a crap chip)

what is your budget mate, and im assumign your in the UK?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I love how people compare the single cards to the sli cards - it's so ridiculous. How can you directly compare the performance of one card to another, when the other varies proportionately from game to game?

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not ppl NVIDIA, and im sure they choose perticular games, in which it was the biggest difference, but we shall see.

jsut wait for the new cards, then make our decision