1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qoob - Upcomming no-swap modchip.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Artlover, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Artlover

Artlover Member

http://www.qoobchip.com/

2. windsong

windsong Member

Probably as fake as a 7 dollar bill. April Fools is starting a bit early this year, no?

If its too good to be true...IT IS!

3. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

no man this is true. there's a well designed page for it and also gamefreax are taking preorders. so it has to be true

4. windsong

windsong Member

Hmm...maybe it is real. Its just that there have been so many scamsters and cloners of real authentic chips like the Viper that one cant help but be skeptical at first.

Man, an mp3 player?! Talk about crushing the competition. Methinks this will be fairly expensive ($100 plus?) when it arrives. Can't wait for reviews. At any rate, subsequent modchips in the months ahead have to at least offer these (admittedly kickass) features to stay competitive.

5. Artlover

Artlover Member

Well, you can pre-order it here:

http://www.gamefreax.com/lshop,show...111597514-31458,1051894129.1051916199,,,,.htm

Prices are 50 euro for the SX version and 70 euro for the Pro. That works out to 65 & 91 USD.

Personaly, I'm not much into pre-orders. I'll wait till some actuall stock exists first. But if this is real, I will be buying one.

I really don't care about any of the media stuff, I've got a few xbox loaded with XBMC for that. I'm just looking for a no-swap way to play backups, so I'll likely get the SX version. Tho I want to see their homepage updated with specs on the SX version first so I can see what is different before I decide.

6. Betatestr

Betatestr Member

holy crap this is awsome! i cant wait for it to come out, it sounds really to good to be true. its taken 3 years for a mod chip this great to come out on GCN.
    only problem is you need a SD card :|

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  7. Artlover

Artlover Member

No you don't.

Notice the *'s. You only need the SD card if you want to do SD card based development.

Like wise, you only need the BBA if you want to upgrade the chip via a network or do network based development.

8. Betatestr

Betatestr Member

oh yeah..... miss read that >_<

i dont know i wanna get it, but im also wondering if i wait a better one will come out. although this already does alot of amazing stuff.

9. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Did anyone actally look at the install diagrams??? It is the SAME install as a viper with 2 more wires. One of those wires is a 5v line for the usb programmer and the other one is on the bios chip, perhaps a ground or a sync for the programmer. The only thing that sets this apart most likely is the bios. THIS IS A VIPER CLONE!!! Once us viper owners get their hands on the bios and someone encypts it for the viper, there will be direct boot.

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Say it like it is brother....

Altho, I see MP3 Playback as a total gimmick... we have CD players, DVD players, Walkmen and PC's for that...

11. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Now the ability to code movies to Gamecube format then play them back....

THAT WOULD BE FRESH!

12. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Cobra 1.0 will have no dres and will work with 101 units. It doesnt have the same wire count solely because of the usb programmer. Its a viper with 2 extra wires for the usb programmer, and usb control chip. Therefore, once they crack the bios and put it on viper, it will be the same.

13. Betatestr

Betatestr Member

i highly doubt it, i never thought viper was a great thing. although since them GCN modding has definatly moved forward, im definatly going to sit back untill i see a nice mod chip perfect for me then im putting it in.

14. foundmy

foundmy Guest

really. two extra wires for USB programming.

what would the USB cable require for USB flashing, nothing, if its like other chips that use USB programming, eg. XBIT, do not even require it to be plugged into the unit. and if its getting power from the
    MOBO of the GC and GND. still doesnt account for the 2 more wires. since they would use the same GND as the chip becuase GND is GND. but i could be wrong.

so are you saying the viper team will grab the bios and clone it into theirs. SO then wouldn't the Vipergc then be a clone of the QOOB? so then Cobra 1.0 a clone of GCOS v1.4 since GCOS v1.4 works in DOL-10x units and Cobra 0.4 doesn't. not following your logic sorry.

15. Artlover

Artlover Member

I'm trying not to jinx it, but I do question if the no-swap claim is true. The problem is there are two different aspects that each hold water, but don't support each other.

I know the swapping revolves around the BCA barcode check which is not handled by the GC or it's bios, and this chip only add's another bios connection, but there are still no drive hook-ups, so I can't see how it would direct boot. If it was as easy as being a bios, then the Viper/Ripper/Ninja would beable to do it too, which they can't. But at the same time, it's currently being presold by a legitimate company and both they and the qoob people specificly state that it's a no-swap AND ps2nazi's had mentioned last month that a no-swap chip was comming out soon.

Since it's not out yet, none of us can say for sure what it will be capable of. All we can do is wait for it to get produced and avaialble.

16. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

It maybe real, I checked Xbox-Scene as they reported on the first GC chip, no report (Confirmed that its real OR fake) there. It maybe real, keep your eyes open and watch out scams.

17. Artlover

Artlover Member

Really. Other GC mod chips have more wires then the viper, connect to +5 and don't have a USB. Why's that? And why exactly would the USB interface, which has to do with accessing the modchip need to reference anything on the GC's bios. Can you actually back up any of your rather interesting opinions?

18. saltonsea

saltonsea Member

Actually this is 100% legit its some guy from Italy, hes been working on it for a while now.
    I've been following his progress for a while now, and hes finally releasing the product, good news.
    Don't be bitter.. just becuse you bought the swap modchip and now you have to shell out another $50 for the better solution

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Foundmy, this is hardly an advertising forum as the rules state...too bad I cant see the 'report offensive post button' atm.

No 'cept we wont because we can just grab the bios

20. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

well put nemo.

why would anyone need to get this if they have a viper? as many have said, the only way this could be nonswap is if it's a bios issue; and if it's a bios issue than any other GC chip can do it. Plus, what makes it so much better? nonswap? who gives a shite. it would be nice to not have to swap but is it really that much of a big deal to people? five extra seconds?