1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qoob - Upcomming no-swap modchip.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Artlover, Mar 23, 2005.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The Viper will be able to use USB to USB function is what you are saying.I don't really think that is possible unless they modify the modchip bro.Where could they hook a USB cable to the Viper modchip.The Qoob has a USB port already built on the board of the modchip,so it connects via USB to USB.Think about it,on the modchip it has a female end that you can connect a male USB plug into.They are going to be using Male to Male USB cable for the Qoob.I think Viper would have to come up with a new modchip for USB to USB support bro,unless they can make a parrallel to USB convertor.I highly doubt it will be possible man.They probably can put USB drivers on the BIOS,but it won't help them since USB isn't supported with the Viper.

2. AceMilo

AceMilo Member

Well they released their flashing software today. From the looks of it, the 2mb chip is seperated into 15 individual banks of 128k each. WTF is the point of that? They don't say whether or not you can flash 1 bios over multiple banks (ie a 1mb bios over half the banks) or if each bank is seperate. There doesn't appear to be any hardware was of switching banks, so it must be done in software. Anyway, the bios files are only 40k each, so they aren't using anywhere near the space that cobra is, so its probably just a stripped down cobra 1.0 bios, most likely it just took out the cheat code system and the swap option. I'm fairly sure they are encrypted tho, so once someone decrypts both the qoob bios and cobra 1.0 we will see for sure.

3. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

Well, it must be possible, otherwise it wouldn't be in the cobra nfo. why would there need to be a USB connector on the actual chip though? If I'm correct, they're probably just going to replace the parallel connector on the programmer with the USB connector. It doesn't need to be on the chip at all.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Wait a minute that doesn't make any sense then does it.How would the modchip even get USB to connect to it then.I think you are talking about a convertor then right,parrallel to USB am I right.The USB needs to connect to the modchip other wise it will not gain access any other way besides parrallel.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

They could change the programmer,but still I highly doubt they will.Reason why is they probably won't,because so many people have already bought up the recent programmers already.I don't think the Qoob bit off the Cobra,and as far as anybody at the momment nobody really knows.

6. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I don't know what else to say. It's in the nfo and I have no reason to think that they're lying. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I don't know what else to say man,I guess they could actually change the programmer.The programmer could allow USB support right,since that is what the original parrallel port connects to.I guess it would be kinda hard though to tell everyone to buy a new programmer,the people that already have the parrallel port programmer at the momment.I guess the best thing to do is wait it out like always right.I am not saying you are lying or anything,but kinda sounds a little skeptical because of how many people already own the parrallel port programmers.I really would like to know if the bios files are different or if the Qoob is a clone of the Cobra.If it is then I would rather get the original creators modchip.I can't really be certain if the Qoob's bios file is a clone or not.I do like the cheat code function that Cobra implemented,which the Qoob doesn't support.That is pretty cool in my opinion,the cheat code option.I kinda am against Cobra in a way though,because they are associated with http://www.ps2nfo.com (I can't stand those pricks to be honest and really don't want to support anyone that is associated with them).

8. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I feel the same way. If it's proven that qoob stole from cobra then I would hope no one would buy it. With gcos it's a different story because they did it for the good of the scene and cobra even gives them props in the nfo.

I like the cheat option a lot too. I haven't actually tried it yet but I've been compiling as many cheats as I'll ever use so I can put them all on one dvd. Cheats add a lot of replay value to games. It is interesting that qoob didn't implement the cheat system in their bios. If they did steal the cobra code, it would make a lot of sense for them not to add the cheat system so it looks like their bios is original. I don't remember where, but they admit to taking from cobra 0.4, so I don't see what would stop them from stealing the direct boot info.

Anyway, I hate ps2sucks as well and yeah, the fact that cobra is associated with them leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth. But I think of it this way. When viper / cobra were new, they probably didn't know anything about ps2sucks beforehand or their reputation. So I don't really blame them. I'm sure if they knew what they were getting themselves into, they would've went a different direction. Also, it's funny that in the cobra 1.0 nfo they gives props to gcos when ps2sucks won't even admit they exist. It's like a slap in the face to ps2sucks. You gotta admit that they're pretty cool for doing that.

9. Artlover

Artlover Member

What does the NFO say? It says coincidence. Look the word up. It also gives vague timeframes that do not track well. Be nice if they gave specific dates of when things happened. Their "leak a month ago, then 2 weeks later qoob" doesn't hold water, no matter how much water proofing you put on it.

Besides protecting their viper sales you mean?

10. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

Ummm, I'm not sure if you realize it, but you misquoted me. Those comments I made about it being in the nfo, I was talking about the USB programmer, not qoob stealing the bios.

I said I'm not arguing about that anymore till there's more info anyway;)

11. Artlover

Artlover Member

Ah, yes, I can see that now.

My apologies sir.

/action slinks off to put on a dunce cap and stand in the corner.

12. korayg

korayg Member

nobody tried The Qoob yet ?

13. gulliver

gulliver Regular member