1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad core heat issues, please help if you can

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shadester, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I do believe that speedfan is correct. Try MBM5, and see if the temps in that are the same as speedfans temp 2.

40C seems right where a idling cpu should be, with a stock cooler anyways...

My CPU @ 4Ghz idles at 40C as well, but thats on water. I see other CPUs running like that online, so I believe 40C is good for a idle temp.

2. shadester

shadester Member

Well, I ran TAT and the others, and this is what I am coming up with... Think I am going to take out my board, do some tests with liquid or razor to see if HS/CPU are flat, and add some AS5 or something, and maybe add another fan... but something is definitely up with these temps...

I wouldnt be surprised if HS is not on as tight as can be, even after 5 re-seats and enough pressure to almost snap the Mobo... lol

[​IMG]

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

we overclocked ours to 3ghz with no heat probs so I think maybe your prob is too much paste on the heatsink
    you need just a spot the size of an uncooked piece of rice on the chip and the heatsink will spread it when you put it on
    we are only using standard cooling here

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I've no idea which program is right, but what I will say is don't worry about your temps, they're fine. As long as your CPU temp never exceeds about 55, and the coretemp figures never exceed 80, you'll be fine.

5. shadester

shadester Member

10 mins of 3d rendering at 100% CPU all 4 cores, and temps peaked 72C, then staying at 71ish for the remainder, so it didnt keep heating up.... heatsink was warm to the touch, but not hot enough to burn or anything... but i would think that would take more than 10 mins to do that... maybe the paste needs some time to fill in gaps... i have been so worried about temps that I have been changing paste/reseating almost everday (system is a couple days old)

but i will change to aftermarket HS very soon, and hopefully temps will drop further

also my northbridge or southbridge (not sure lol... big heatsink under cpu) wobbles a bit, which worries me... i was holding the mobo with my thumb on it, and 1 of the 2 plastic pins that snaps through the hole in the mobo came out. I put it back on, snd now I can wobble it back and forth with little effort. Is it supposed to be able to do this? I didnt check it before popping it out accidentally.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those CPU temps are fine. If you haven't actually bought an aftermarket cooler yet they're quite impressive.
    As for the wobbly chipset heatsink, no it's not supposed to do that, although it does often happen (they're usually attached with low quality plastic lugs). If you're worried about it you can buy a replacement heatsink for it such as a Thermalright HR-05.

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

72C is pretty hot man... My P4 at 3.8Ghz got to 140F on load (60C), but that was with a aftermarket cooler. I believe my PC shut down a few times at 160F by itself.

BTW, are those taken from coretemp or speedfan.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

72C isn't hot, not for the internal cores. The maximum temperature for them is 100C (versus 75-80 for the CPU itself), and the second you open a program that fully utilises all the cores, they will go straight to at least 50C if you're water cooled, typically more. After a long period running OCCT or Orthos, you can expect a well cooled CPU to be at maybe 45C, but the individual cores will be around the 75 mark (in CoreTemp anyway, speedfan will read them to be a little above 60)

9. shadester

shadester Member

so 72C for the core is not too hot? I know the Tj. Max is at 100C but I would never want it to get close... I will stress test tonight... also, if I run 2 instances of TAT (they only use 2 cpus per test) will that work to stress 100% cpu? If I render something in my 3d program it uses 100% cpu all the time... so is that a good stress test?

also a question about stress tests, do they just use 100% cpu, or do they do different stuff like utilize RAM, or something similar, etc...

That is what I will use this comp for anyways, rendering animations, so I guess that is what I should use for testing... All temps were taken with TAT and CoreTemp, which are similar results. I am not relying on Speedfan for anything other than fan speeds, lol, how ironic...

What is avg temp for CPU (not cores)

And if 72C is not hot for internal cores, where does it stand temp wise (very low, Low, medium, medium hot, hot, blistering... you get the picture lol) and what temp for cores/overall cpu does the q6600 shut itself off so it wont fry?

10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well the newer graphics cards like the 8800GT get to 90C on load, but a Q6600 isn't a graphics card.

Personally, I hate to get to 60C even. When I had my Gecube x1950xt with the stock cooler (that thing was a nightmare), temps easily got to 60C+, but now since I've reverter to H20 cooling, I see a load on the CPU at just under 60C @ 4Ghz w/ 1.6v, and about 30C @ stock speeds. My graphic cards get to 35-38 on load as well.

I have never heard of the "internal core" temperature, as there is only 1 probe monitoring the temperature of a GPU, not sure if it's internal or external. Personally, I 70C is high for load, as other people are getting 60C on their quads. I guess it's because I only use MBM5 and speedfan to monitor my temps, which both give the same reading.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My CPU's run at up to 80C on the cores before, no problems at all, don't worry about it.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Holy crap are you serious 80C at core?!

I just stopped playing Crysis because my core temp went up to 60C on one occasion and my mobo made a little sound. It seems the stock cooler is not good enough for 3.6 Ghz.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now this is in coretemp. Speedfan told me 65 for the cores, and 52 for the CPU temp itself.
    3.6Ghz on the stock cooler? Are you mad?

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha maybe I am. Didn't we have this discussion before? My PC runs pretty cool at idle but on load the temp goes up.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I bet it does!

16. shadester

shadester Member

3.6 on stock HS, lol, Im still at stock speed (2.4) worrying about temps!

I didn't install MBM, but if its giving you the same temps as speedfan, I would check CoreTemp as well, everyone says Speedfan gives wrong results, like 15C lower than actual, so you might think you are running cool, but might not be... so check that out...

Im getting AS5 today and isopropyl alcohol to clean the HSF and HS on CPU... so hopefully I will see some results! Im gonna try the line method that AS5 said, as people said that works the best...

@Waymon - the cores have digital thermal sensors on them that programs like CoreTemp can read to get actual core temperatures, not just overall CPU temp... they will be hotter than overall cpu temp...

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FYI: I used the line method on my CPU - when I came to remove the heatsink, the coverage was perfectly uniform.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't use speedfan. Who the hell does? That thing stopped being accurate a long time ago.

I just Everest professional and it's core temperature readings which report the same as Core temp.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't have the up to date version of Everest yet, so I can't see the indidividual core temperatures, but Everest is usually a good temperature recording application.

20. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I read on another forum that Speedfan just copies the BIOS's CPU temp readings, and now that I think about that, I think it's true. I left my pc in the BIOS idling for about 15 minutes, the temp for the CPU was 100C @ 4Ghz stock. I am not sure how many *C that is, but in speedfan it read the same thing, or a bit lower.