1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality loss using an old burner?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by jamoos, Feb 6, 2004.

1. jamoos

jamoos Member

I've been using my Teac CDR-56s x6 burner for almost 5 years now. I've burnt about 1200 cds (with 5-10 coasters, which were most my fault), And it is still working...

My question is, is there a quality loss when burning cds with such an old device? (I'm using good quality cds: TY/TDK)
    or does laser devices stay in good shape for a long time? (I dont understand much in technical stuff, thats why im asking).

Thanks

2. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

In theory you should match the speed of the burner with the speed of the media (as to avoid damaging photo sensitive dye layer of the CD-R)

In reality slow burners, if based on quality mechanism, will do a better job with music, MP3s or game console backups. So do not throw away that old burner even if you decide to get something faster.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can download a free utility called DVD Info Pro. It's mainly a DVD utility but it will also allow you to test your burned CDs for errors. It's a pretty basic scanner, but as long as your discs aren't showing few to no errors with it your burner is doing fine. Here's a link:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Bald is Beautiful[/small]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004