1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality loss when reusing hi8 tapes?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by lkd, Sep 20, 2004.

1. lkd

lkd Member

In order to import analogue footage through my camcorder's firewire and into my computer as DV video, I have to record the footage onto a hi8 tape first (my camcorder does not allow direct analogue to digital conversion without a tape).

Can I re-record over the hi8 tape repeatedly without incurring quality loss?

2. StormFire

StormFire Guest

no.

Just like any magnetic-based tape (vhs, beta, hi-8, vhs-c, mini-dv etc) it will degrade in quality the more it is recorded on AND the more it is played.

I`d save yourself alot of hassle and trade in your camera for one that can pass-through without using a tape (like the JVC DX95 etc). You may be able to do it with your current camcorder anyway though, as I thought my DX95 had to have a tape in as well to pass-through, but then I found out via an e-mail to JVC that it could pass-through when `empty` and how to do it.