1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Music VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by everglade, May 3, 2004.

1. everglade

everglade Member

I'm planning on converting some old music clips I have on VHS into a DVD collection to preserve their quality. I was going to buy a standalone DVD Recorder with HDD to record from VHS onto DVD then edit it via PC, but I've been told its better to buy a JVC S-VHS Player with in-line clarifier/ enhancer and then to capture direct onto my PC's hard drive. I've read so much about how to do this, put basically, what's the best capture card for a fantastic picture quality? It seems to be between ATI-MMC and Radeon? I would then be wanting some good software to enhance them once saved onto the HDD. I've read that DVDExtreme is very good for this and also for authroing to DVD..unless anyone else knows of a good editor, I have got NEro for the burning stage..any feedback much appreciated. thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If your Goal is to capture at the best Quality then you are definately not looking at the Right capture devices and you have gotten some bad information...
    The Best Capture devices for Transfering Analogue Material like VHS and Hi8 or even TV signals would be something like the Canopus ADVC-100/55/50 or the Canopus ACEDVio...These are Professinal Quality analogue Digital Converters which are what Professinals use for Transfering Analogue material to Digital, These devices will produce quality Far better than any Analoge Capture device Like an ATI Radeon or an All In Wonder Can...You can even get these devices for cheaper than a high end ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder...
    Here are some Links to some of these devices and I would Recomend them over any other Analogue Capture device available...

Canopus ADVC-50
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-50/pt_advc-50.asp

Canopus ADVC-55
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC55/pt_advc55.asp

Canopus ADVC-100
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp

Canopus ACEDVio
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ACEDVio/pt_ACEDVio.asp

You can find these Capture devices for up to 40% cheaper on e-bay than what they sell for at the Canopus Web site....Cheers

3. everglade

everglade Member

Thanks for that, I had been looking at the Canopus ADVC-100 to be honest, and as you say the price of them is cheaper than come of the ATI Cards. Can you recommend any god software that will enable enhancement of recordings, such as removal of colour bleed, etc? Or does the Canopus have its own software?

4. everglade

everglade Member

You can just cklarify this up for me, I'm not clear on the connection of the Canopus to the PC..its via a Firewire connection, is that just a plug on the back of the PC, or is that part of the Graphics card? With it being and external capture device, do you need anything other than a standard graphics card inside the PC? Or do you still need a card with capture capabilities? Thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, With these devices they Generally Just hook into a firewire Port on your PC, if you don"t have one you can get a PCI Firewire Card for really cheap i just got one on ebay for $2..The Canopus ACEDVio is an Internal PCI card with Video Inputs and Outputs so you can hook up your VCR/DVD Player Cable Box ect, so you don"t need a seperate Firewire Card with it...
    These Devices capture directly to a High Quality DV AVI format which can be easilly edited and encoded to Mpeg2 for DVD authoring and they have Locked audio support which means there is Never a Chance of there Being audio and Video sync problems Like other analogue capture devices......Cheers