1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality of conversion of TMD movies

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Maverick®, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

There have been many posts about conversion of AVI files by TMD to VCD or SVCD.

I was speaking to a guy who was saying that he can download small TMD files (eg. 2 x 200MB files comprising one feature movie) and then convert or decompress them to a format suitable for burning to CD in such a way that the quality is IMPROVED, ie. the end result plays better than the original downloaded avi file.

So is it possible to convert 2 x 200MB segments (eg. from TMD) into a VCD or SVCD that plays at a higher quality than the original ... because when I create DivX CD's direct from the DVD source (using your Guide) I need to make the file at least 700MB (or preferably 2 x 700MB) to make the end result watchable on a 21 inch screen.

Thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

You cant improve the quality of the input movie!!! unless you are professional of course!! The best thing to do is drop the whole tmd crap and get the real releases because tmd get the real releases and downsample them, slap a logo on them and release them around kazaa wheras if you used a better p2p or irc then you could get the real releases. bigger file size but quality is much better!!

3. Maverick®

Maverick® Member

Thanks for your response. That is exactly what I was trying to tell him but he remains convinced.

As a general rule, what type or brand of release is the best to download and which do you think is the best P2P to get the "real" releases from?

Also, if you want to watch the downloaded avi on a normal DVD player, do you recommend burning as a VCD or SVCD? How many CDR's would the latter require for a feature film?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well the real releases. Just look at the quality difference http://www.vcdquality.com

eMule is great for movies if you know what you're doing!

VCD takes 80mins a 80min cd-r and svcd can be anything from 30mins to 60mins, depends on the encoding!